Sigma Alpha Zeta Multicultural Sorority, Inc.
About Sigma Alpha Zeta
Founded in 1992, Sigma Alpha Zeta multicultural sorority was formed to further opportunities for multicultural women in colleges and universities throughout California. Since our inception, we have been challenged to hold ourselves to a higher standard of excellence, to become stronger leaders, and to make the most of the opportunities the college experience presents. The members of our sorority are dedicated to academic excellence, personal growth, sisterhood, and community service. Sigma Alpha Zeta women form a lasting bond of sisterhood that often continues even beyond the University environment.
Founded in 1995 as Beta Chapter, Sigma Alpha Zeta still stands strong after 16 years. The SAZ ladies pried themselves in academic excellence, community service, and sisterhood. Our philanthropy, advocacy against domestic violence, has remained strong throughout the years by hosting events and tabling on campus, providing awareness and fundraising to donate to a local shelter.
- Designation: Beta Chapter
- President: Esmeralda Mendez
- Websites: National
- Type: Multicultural Interest
- Active Members: 10
- SJSU Founding: December 15, 1995
- National Founding: October 17, 1992 at California State University, Fresno in Fresno CA
- 2014 Service / Philanthropy: 173 hours of service, $342 raised for charity
- Scholarship: Spring 2015–2.78, Fall 2014–2.40
- Colors: Navy Blue, Hunter Green, and White
- Flowers: Red and White Rose
- Symbol: Dolphin
- Motto: "Sisterhood through Education"
- Nickname: SAZ, Sazzie
- Annual Events: National Week of Domestic Violence Awareness, Sigma Seduction, and Spring
Awards and Recognition (2014–15)
- Silver Laurel Chapter (2014 Standards of Excellence – 1547 points, 80%)