Sigma Pi Alpha Sorority, Inc.
About Sigma Pi Alpha
Our goals are:
The letters we wear represent our sisterhood, our commitment to each other, and to our goals. For ourselves we are a sisterhood of academic and personal support, trust, and understanding. For our campus we sponsor informative and social activities. We support our fellow Raza organizations and network with other campus resources and groups. For our community our priority is to promote higher education through mentoring, tutoring, scholarships and to overall support Chicana/Latina youth. However, we address other community issues as well. We are also involved in political and social issues that directly affect our Latino community.
Sigma Pi Alpha is a Chicana/Latina sorority. It was founded in the Spring of 1996 at the University of California at Berkeley by nine women who saw the need to create a close network of Latinas who wanted to make a difference in their communities, starting with addressing the needs of Chicana/Latina women. In 2010 Sigma Pi Alpha sorority expanded to SJSU to fulfill that same need for women on this campus.
- Designation: Lambda Chapter
- President: Alejandra Vargas
- Vice President: Vanessa Berrios
- Websites: National
- Type: Chicana / Latina Interest
- SJSU Founding: 2010
- National Founding: May 2, 1996 at the University of California, Berkeley in Berkeley CA
- Scholarship: Fall 2016 - 2.70, Spring 2016 - 2.77, Fall 2015 - 3.09
- Colors: Pearl, Onyx, Midnight Green, and Shimmering Gold
- Flower: Calla Lily
- Symbol: n/a
- Motto: "Mujeres con Cultura, Fuerza y Hermandad!"
- Nickname: Ella
- Annual Events: Dia De Los Muertos Celebration and Breast Cancer Walk
Awards and Recognition (2015–16)
- Bronze Laurel Chapter (2015 Standards of Excellence)