Sigma Pi Alpha Sorority, Inc.
About Sigma Pi Alpha
Our goals are:
The letters we wear represent our sisterhood, our commitment to each other, and to our goals. For ourselves we are a sisterhood of academic and personal support, trust, and understanding. For our campus we sponsor informative and social activities. We support our fellow Raza organizations and network with other campus resources and groups. For our community our priority is to promote higher education through mentoring, tutoring, scholarships and to overall support Chicana/Latina youth. However, we address other community issues as well. We are also involved in political and social issues that directly affect our Latino community.
Sigma Pi Alpha is a Chicana/Latina sorority. It was founded in the Spring of 1996 at the University of California at Berkeley by nine women who saw the need to create a close network of Latinas who wanted to make a difference in their communities, starting with addressing the needs of Chicana/Latina women. In 2010 Sigma Pi Alpha sorority expanded to SJSU to fulfill that same need for women on this campus.
- Designation: Lambda Chapter
- President: Karina Herrera
- Vice President:Azucena Romero
- Websites: National
- Type: Chicana / Latina Interest
- Active Members: 20
- SJSU Founding: 2010
- National Founding: May 2, 1996 at the University of California, Berkeley in Berkeley CA
- 2014 Service / Philanthropy: 689 hours of service, $100 raised for charity
- Scholarship: Spring 2015–2.76, Fall 2014–2.78
- Colors: Pearl, Onyx, Midnight Green, and Shimmering Gold
- Flower: Calla Lily
- Symbol: n/a
- Motto: "Mujeres con Cultura, Fuerza y Hermandad!"
- Nickname: Ella
- Annual Events: Dia De Los Muertos Celebration and Breast Cancer Walk
Awards and Recognition (2014–15)
- Gold Laurel Chapter (2014 Standards of Excellence – 1762 points, 91%)