How Can Parents or Family Members Support Interested Students?
The staff of Student Involvement's Fraternity and Sorority Life thank you for your support and your student's interest in one of our fraternities and sororities. San José State University is an exciting place to be and we assure you that your son or daughter is a part of a strong tradition of fraternity and sorority life. As you may know, SJSU has over 115 years of fraternity and sorority life. We have chapters ranging from those that embrace African American, Asian American, and Latin0/a American heritage, to general interest chapters that have foundations in philanthropic endeavors. Membership in all chapters encompass approximately 6% of the undergraduate population at SJSU (about 32,000 students).
WARNING! Statement on Unrecognized Organizations
Being part of a fraternity or sorority can be one of the most rewarding experiences a student can have while at college. Unfortunately, there are some groups that are not affiliated with the University that utilize the enticement of this experience to recruit student members. We strongly discourage students from attending events or affiliating with any group that is not officially recognized by SJSU. Before joining any club or organization, please check our Directory of Student Organizations to verify that the organization is officially recognized and operating within University parameters.
The following chapters have been SUSPENDED by San José State University or their national office for hazing, violence, or inappropriate chapter management practices, or have Cease and Desists issued against them, within the past few years and are not recognized:
- Alpha Epsilon Pi (fraternity) — underground group, never recognized — Cease and Desist Order issued by the CSU
- Alpha Kappa Alpha (sorority) — suspended for serious hazing
- Lambda Phi Epsilon (fraternity) — permanently banned for involvement in a homicide, history of hazing practices
- Pi Kappa Alpha (fraternity) — suspended for conduct violations
- Phi Gamma Delta (fraternity) — suspended for conduct violations
- Phi Kappa Tau (fraternity) — underground group, never recognized, history of hazing practices — Cease and Desist Order issued by the CSU
- Psi Chi Omega (fraternity) — underground group, never recognized, history of hazing practices
- Sigma Gamma Rho (sorority) — suspended for serious hazing