UNVS 096: Leadership & Change
This class is designed for students who have some leadership experience. Through lectures, exercises, group projects and readings, students will learn more about the theoretical and practical aspects of leadership to prepare them for leadership roles beyond college. This class emphasizes developing skills and knowledge that prepares students for being leaders in a diverse and global society.
This course examines the interaction between leadership and global society, with an emphasis on social justice. The readings and assignments were selected and designed to:
- Develop an understanding of leadership and social justice as they pertain to the global society.
- Analyze the ways in which race, class, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and ability affect the world and people as leaders.
- Increase knowledge and understanding of multiculturalism and social justice
- Identify specific leadership skills necessary for a growing pluralistic society
- Increase self-awareness through the exploration of values, beliefs, culture, and identity.
- Enhance written and oral communication skills through reflective paper writing, written assignments, projects and class presentations.
- Apply critical thinking to leadership theories and practices.
What do students have to say about UNVS 96E?
"To lead others you must first understand yourself" I would say this is one quote I took away from this course. This class really makes you analyze your core values and strengths which help your leadership skills immensely. Also with learning who we are, comes looking at other leaders and advocates who have made an impact on the world. This is an inspiration/motivation and gives us insight how to better our world by analyzing problems globally or even here in our backyard. Overall UNVS 96E gives one an outlet to learn, understand oneself and the world around us.”
This Spring 3-credit course is available and open for all SJSU students. For more information, please contact us at 408-924-5950 or by email at email@example.com.