Start A New Student Organization
Start A New Student Organization
Can't find a group that fits your interests? Want to start a new organization at SJSU? It's easy! To become a student organization, all groups must go through the New Org Recognition process to be officially Recognized at San José State University and be able to take advantage of University resources and facilities. Students interested in starting a new organizations must complete a New Org Recognition application, and the President and Treasurer of the new organization must complete an online training before being Recognized.
Procedure for New Student Organizations
The New Student Org Recognition Process for Spring 2020 will begin on Thursday, January 23rd and close on Friday, February 28th. During this time frame, students interested in starting a new Student Organization must complete all of the following steps:
Step 1. Attend a New Student Organization Info Session
The President of each new group is required to attend one New Student Organization Info Session to initiate the recognition process. At this time you will be provided the information of a direct Student Involvement staff member who will guide you through the recognition process. All Info Sessions take place in the office of Student Involvement, located at 1400 Student Union (across from the Jama Juice in the Student Union).
New Student Org Info Sessions, Spring 2020:
Thursday, January 30th, 12pm-1pm
Wednesday, February 5th, 12pm-1pm
Tuesday, February 18th, 12pm-1pm
To sign up for a New Org Info Session click here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeBqxgn43-GoDCzmjwnBnqLbd4yNE-lbtHPSyIAJMPD9qsGVw/viewform?usp=sf_link
Can't make one of the Sessions above? Email us at email@example.com for more info!
Step 2. Meet Minimum Student Organization Requirements
Student organizations must have a minimum of 8 currently enrolled and matriculated SJSU students, two of which must be the President and Treasurer.
The President and Treasurer must:
- Have a minimum 2.0 cumulative AND previous term GPA
- Be currently enrolled in at least 6 credits (3 credits for graduate students)
- Not have completed over 150 units or 125% of the units needed for their major
- Be in good standing with SJSU
- The President is in charge of maintaining the roster.
Student organizations must also have an SJSU faculty/staff member serve as an advisor (California State University Executive Order 1068).
The Advisor must:
- Work for SJSU and have a Bachelors degree.
- Cannot be an employee of an SJSU auxiliary department (e.g.: Associated Students, Spartan Eats, Student Union, Research Foundation, Tower Foundation)
- Provide continuity from year to year.
- Should be an on-campus faculty or staff member that helps to provide advice, direction, and support for your new organization
Step 3. Complete Application for Recognition
Following your attendance at the New Student Organization Info Session, an e-mail with the application link will be sent. The President or Treasurer should be completing this application.
You will need to complete the following items:
- President, Treasurer, and Advisor information (Name, Student ID Number, SJSU Email Address)
- Input Entire Membership Roster using SJSU Email Addresses
- Complete section on Finance policies and expectations
- Upload Constitution for the organization
- Must adhere to all guidelines outlined in CSU Executive Order 1068.
- Template Constitution (DOC)
Step 4. Complete Student Org Leaders Canvas Course
After application has been submitted, the President and Treasurer will be screened to confirm eligibility to serve in the role. Please allow up to a week for processing.
After the application has been processed, the President and Treasurer will be added into an online Canvas course specifically for Student Organization leaders. Presidents and Treasurers must complete all sections in the course labeled "Required." Completion must be done by the Friday, February 28th deadline; failure to do so will result in the organization not being Recognized.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org in order to change any officers for your organization. Presidents & Treasurers must not be on any university probation and must meet unit requirements. All other officers must not be on any university probation.
Additional Steps for Club Sports and Fraternities & Sororities:
An organization that is a competitive club sports team and competes with non-SJSU sports clubs in a league environment must be affiliated with the SJSU Club Sports Program. For more information, visit the Club Sports.
Organizations seeking affiliation with any fraternity and sorority council (IFC, PHC, NPHC, USFC) must complete the Fraternity and Sorority Expansion Process. For more information about becoming a recognized fraternity or sorority, please contact the relevant Student Involvement staff member.