Start A New Student Organization
Start A New Student Organization
Can't find a group that fits your interests? Want to start a new organization at SJSU? It's easy! To become a student organization, all groups must go through the recognition process to be officially recognized at San José State University. New Student Organization presidents must complete and submit the Recognition Application and complete all recognition requirements.
Procedure for New Student Organizations
The New Student Organization Recognition process is now closed for the Fall 2019 semester. Applications for new Student Organizations will be accepted at the beginning of the Spring 2020 semester. Check back towards the end of Fall 2019 for more information. During the New Student Organization Recognition process, students hoping to start a new Student Organization on campus must complete the following steps:
Step 1. Attend a New Student Organization Info Session
The President of each new group is required to attend one New Student Organization Info Session to initiate the recognition process. At this time you will be provided the information of a direct Student Involvement staff member who will guide you through the recognition process. All Info Sessions take place in the office of Student Involvement, located at 1400 Student Union.
New Org Info Sessions for Fall 2019 have ended. Please check back at the end of Fall 2019 for information on Spring 2020 Info Sessions.
To sign up for a New Org Info Session click here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeBqxgn43-GoDCzmjwnBnqLbd4yNE-lbtHPSyIAJMPD9qsGVw/viewform?usp=sf_link
Can't make one of the Sessions above? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info!
Step 2. Meet Minimum Student Organization Requirements
Student organizations must have a minimum of 8 currently enrolled and matriculated SJSU students, two of which must be a President and Treasurer.
The President and Treasurer must:
- Have a minimum 2.0 cumulative AND previous term GPA
- Be currently enrolled in at least 6 credits (3 credits for graduate students)
- Not have completed over 150 units or 125% of the units needed for their major
- Be in good standing with SJSU
- The President is in charge of maintaining the roster.
Student organizations must also have an SJSU faculty/staff member serve as an advisor (California State University Executive Order 1068).
The Advisor must:
- Work for SJSU and have a Bachelors degree.
- Cannot be an employee of an SJSU auxiliary department (e.g.: Associated Students, Spartan Eats, Student Union, Research Foundation, Tower Foundation)
- Provide continuity from year to year.
- Should be an on-campus faculty or staff member that helps to provide advice, direction, and support for your new organization
Step 3. Complete Application for Recognition
Following your attendance at the New Student Organization Info Session, an e-mail with the application link will be sent. The President or Treasurer should be completing this application.
You will need to complete the following items:
- President, Treasurer, and Advisor information (Name, Student ID Number, SJSU Email Address)
- Input Entire Membership Roster using SJSU Email Addresses
- Complete section on Finance policies and expectations
- Upload Constitution for the organization
- Must adhere to all guidelines outlined in CSU Executive Order 1068.
- Template Constitution (DOC)
Step 4. Complete Student Org Leaders Canvas Course
After application has been submitted, the President and Treasurer will be screened to confirm eligibility to serve in the role. Please allow up to a week for processing.
After the application has been processed, the President and Treasurer will be added into an online Canvas course specifically for Student Organization leaders. Presidents and Treasurers must complete all sections in the course labeled "Required." Completion must be done by the Friday, September 27th deadline; failure to do so will result in the organization not being Recognized.
The deadline to have all materials completed for Fall 2019 has now passed. Any new applications will be accepted during the Spring 2020 semester.
Contact us at email@example.com in order to change any officers for your organization. Presidents & Treasurers must not be on any university probation and must meet unit requirements. All other officers must not be on any university probation.
Additional Steps for Club Sports and Fraternities & Sororities:
An organization that is a competitive club sports team and competes with non-SJSU sports clubs in a league environment must be affiliated with the SJSU Club Sports Program. For more information, visit the Club Sports.
Organizations seeking affiliation with any fraternity and sorority council (IFC, PHC, NPHC, USFC) must complete the Fraternity and Sorority Expansion Process. For more information about becoming a recognized fraternity or sorority, please contact the relevant Student Involvement staff member.