Student Organization Recognition Process
The 2018-2019 Re-recognition Process is now open. If you are a Club Officer, check your SJSU email for specific re-recognition information for your organization.
Renewing Recognition for Existing Student Organizations
Recognition by San José State University lasts for one academic year, from July 1 to June 30 through the following year.
Every student organization that wishes to continue to operate from year to year must renew their recognition application with Student Involvement each year during the Fall recognition cycle.
Procedure for Re-Recognizing Student Organizations
Step 1. Maintain Required Membership
Student organizations must have a minimum of 8 currently enrolled and matriculated SJSU students, two of which must be a President and Treasurer.
The President and Treasurer must:
- Have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA.
- Be currently enrolled in at least 6 credits (3 credits for graduate students).
- Not have completed over 150 units or 125% of the units needed for their major.
- Be in good standing with SJSU.
- Check and be listed as a member in SJSU|SAMMY.
- Check SJSU email.
Step 2. Select an Advisor
Student organizations must have an SJSU faculty/staff member serve as an advisor.
The Advisor must:
- Work for SJSU.
- Cannot be an employee of an SJSU auxiliary department (e.g.: Associated Students, Spartan Shops, Student Union).
- Advisors must be verified by Student Involvement.
- Provide continuity from year to year.
- Advisor must complete an advisor agreement.
- Advisor must attend a yearly advisor training.
- Be Present. An advisor is often necessary in order to reserve certain university facilities, as well as utilize other University resources.
- Provide SJSU ID for verification.
- Check SJSU email.
Step 3. Complete Application for Recognition on the SJSU SAMMY App
By August 1, 2018, please follow these important steps:
- Step 1 - Student Organization Collects Data
- Download SJSU|SAMMY App for President, Treasurer & at least 6 other members
- Correct SJSU Emails
- At least 6 other members
- Correct SJSU ID Numbers
- Student Organization Constitution
- Step 2 - Complete Recognition Link Above with Correct Information
- Incorrect Information leads to the entire application needing to be redone.
- Step 3 - Student Involvement Reviews Application (Please allow 2 weeks for processing)
- If all correct, move to Step 4
- If something is wrong, Step 1 & Step 2 will need to be redone in their entirety.
- Step 4 - President & Treasurer Complete Training
- President & Treasurer will be loaded into a Canvas course. Both president & treasurer will need to complete the course in its entirety to be a recognized organization.
- Step 5 - Becoming Re-Recognized (Please allow 2 weeks for processing)
- An invite to SJSU|SAMMY for administrative access will be received.
Here is a video of what the process will look like online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSUsVJhGsus&feature=youtu.be
RECOGNITION IS NOW EXTENDED TO AUGUST 31, 2018!
After the Recognition Deadline:
The recognition process takes approximately six weeks from when you complete and submit the required materials until you receive an official recognition letter. During this period, your timely response to any requests for information or changes to your constitution will speed up the process.
Groups that miss any of the steps will not have their recognition granted.
Complete the following form to add additional executive board leaders to your roster. Presidents & Treasurers must not be on any university probation and must meet unit requirements. All other officers must not be on any university probation.
Additional Steps for Club Sports and Fraternities & Sororities:
An organization that is a competitive club sports team and competes with non-SJSU sports clubs in a league environment must be affiliated with the SJSU Club Sports Program. For more information, visit the Club Sports.
Organizations seeking affiliation with any fraternity and sorority council (IFC, PHC, NPHC, USFC) must complete the Fraternity and Sorority Expansion Process. For more information about becoming a recognized fraternity or sorority, please contact the relevant Student Involvement staff member.