Student Organization Recognition Process
The 2017-2018 recognition process is closed. Recognition for 2018-2019 will occur in summer 2018! Check your sjsu email for up to date information.
Renewing Recognition for Existing Student Organizations
Recognition by San José State University lasts for one academic year, from July 1 to June 30 through the following year.
Every student organization that wishes to continue to operate from year to year must renew their recognition application with Student Involvement each year during the Fall recognition cycle.
Procedure for Renewing Student Organizations
Step 1. Review All Recognition Materials
Step 2. Maintain Required Membership
Student organizations must have a minimum of 8 currently enrolled and matriculated SJSU students, two of which must be a President and Treasurer.
The President and Treasurer must:
- Have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA.
- Be currently enrolled in at least 6 credits (3 credits for graduate students).
- Not have completed over 150 units or 125% of the units needed for their major.
- Be in good standing with SJSU.
- Check and be listed as a member in SJSU|SAMMY.
- Check SJSU email.
Step 3. Select an Advisor
Student organizations must have an SJSU faculty/staff member serve as an advisor.
The Advisor must:
- Work for SJSU.
- Cannot be an employee of an SJSU auxiliary department (e.g.: Associated Students, Spartan Shops, Student Union).
- Advisors must be verified by Student Involvement.
- Provide continuity from year to year.
- Advisor must complete an advisor agreement.
- Advisor must attend a yearly advisor training.
- Be Present. An advisor is often necessary in order to reserve certain university facilities, as well as utilize other University resources.
- Provide SJSU ID for verification.
- Check SJSU email.
Step 4. Read & Acknowledge Policies and Procedures
Student organizations are expected to comply with all University Policies and Procedures for Student Organizations and the Student Organization Code of Conduct. Officers are held responsible for the actions of the organization as well as its members. By submitting your application for student organization recognition you are indicating that you have read and understood these policies and procedures and any updates that may occur during the academic year.
Step 5. Complete Application for Recognition on the SJSU App
You will need to complete the following items:
- Input your entire membership roster into the Online system
- Input President and Treasurer
- Input Advisor Information
- Complete Finance Form
- Complete the Recognition Application
- Upload Constitution
- Must adhere to all guidelines outlined in CSU Executive Order 1068.
- Template Constitution (DOC)
Step 6. Complete Training
The organization's President and Treasurer must each participate in RSO Training via Canvas. The organization's Advisor must each participate in training too. The organization will not be recognized until the training is fully complete.
After the Recognition Deadline:
The recognition process takes approximately six weeks from when you complete and submit the required materials until you receive an official recognition letter. During this period, your timely response to any requests for information or changes to your constitution will speed up the process.
Groups that miss any of the steps will not have their recognition granted.
Complete the following form to add additional executive board leaders to your roster. Presidents & Treasurers must not be on any university probation and must meet unit requirements. All other officers must not be on any university probation.
Additional Steps for Club Sports and Fraternities & Sororities:
An organization that is a competitive club sports team and competes with non-SJSU sports clubs in a league environment must be affiliated with the SJSU Club Sports Program. For more information, visit the Club Sports.
Organizations seeking affiliation with any fraternity and sorority council (IFC, PHC, NPHC, USFC) must complete the Fraternity and Sorority Expansion Process. For more information about becoming a recognized fraternity or sorority, please contact the relevant Student Involvement staff member.