College of Science
I am proud to be a Spartan because of the reputation it gives me. SJSU has opened so many doors for me to network with companies in the Bay Area. The hands-on experience in laboratory classes has given me a practical application of my degree.
- Chelsea Jackson, '11 Biology
Our college transforms science majors into professionals fully qualified for a global and regional work force. We provide core science education for engineers, health care professionals, K-12 teachers and other technical fields, as well as critical mathematics and science skills to students in non-science majors.
Our goal is to enable all students to achieve a well-rounded education by attaining the quantitative, critical thinking and scientific skills necessary for lifelong learning and informed decision-making on scientific issues. I am grateful to loyal supporters who have helped move us toward this goal with recent accomplishments such as:
- Students and faculty researchers can extract digitally-sliced images from intact cells thanks to the confocal microscope obtained through a National Science Foundation Major Research Instrumentation Program grant.
- Science students have increased service learning opportunities thanks to $130,000 from Intel, Motorola and AT&T, which will be used to support STEM literacy opportunities for middle school students.
I invite you to invest in our college and its students so that we can achieve goals such as:
- Investing in emerging technologies and upgrades to lab equipment and facilities that provide students with extraordinary research experiences they can apply to their future careers.
- Establishing a robust scholarship and fellowship program to attract the brightest, most talented students who will supply the workforce for tomorrow’s emerging fields of impact.
Please give to the College of Science today.
J. Michael Parrish
Dean, College of Science
Find out more: