College of Science
I am proud to be a Spartan because of the reputation it gives me. SJSU has opened so many doors for me to network with companies in the Bay Area. The hands-on experience in laboratory classes has given me a practical application of my degree.
- Chelsea Jackson, '11 Biology
Our college transforms science majors into professionals fully qualified for a global and regional work force. We provide core science education for engineers, health care professionals, K-12 teachers and other technical fields, as well as critical mathematics and science skills to students in non-science majors.
Our goal is to enable all students to achieve a well-rounded education by attaining the quantitative, critical thinking and scientific skills necessary for lifelong learning and informed decision-making on scientific issues. I am grateful to loyal supporters who have helped move us toward this goal with recent accomplishments such as:
- Moss Landing Marine Laboratories celebrated its 50th Anniversary last fall with a gala weekend that doubled as a homecoming for many of the lab's more than 600 graduates.
- College of Science faculty, staff, students and administrators worked with teams from SJSU Planning, Design and Construction, WRNS Studios, and Research Facilities Design to complete the planning phase for a new Interdisciplinary Science Building.
- Bolstering class offerings, 16 faculty members were welcomed in seven departments and Moss Landing Marine Labs.
I invite you to invest in our college and its students so that we can achieve goals such as:
- Reaching out to corporations and individuals to seek partners in creating facilities in the new science building, such as a visualization theatre, a home for the Silicon Valley Center for Big Data and Cybersecurity, a high-performance computing center and research/teaching facilities for nanotechnology and biological chemistry.
- Improving our student success efforts by expanding the staff and faculty for our College of Science Advising Center.
Please give to the College of Science today.
J. Michael Parrish, Dean
College of Science
Find out more:
Director of Development