Powering Silicon Valley
San Jose State University is Silicon Valley’s number one source of graduates in education, engineering, computer science and business. Companies in Silicon Valley employ more graduates from SJSU than from any other university in the U.S.. Watch this video and listen to the Mayor of San Jose, and many others speak about how important San Jose State University is to Silicon Valley.
San Jose State University has many famous alumni in the fields of Business, Education, Journalism, Literature, Politics, Science and Engineering, Sports, as well as Olympic Medal winners. They include people such as Gordon Moore, founder of Intel Corporation; Ray Dolby, founder of Dolby Sound Systems; Ed Oates, co-founder of Oracle; Omid Kordestani, Senior VP for Global Sales at Google; Amy Tan, author of “The Joy Luck Club;” Dian Fossey, author of “Gorillas in the Mist;” and many more. We are very proud of their achievements.
Founded in 1857, San Jose State University is the oldest public institution of higher education on the West Coast. It began as a school that trained elementary school teachers. Over the years, it has developed into a university with eight colleges that specialize in arts, sciences, education, humanities and more. Each college has schools and programs that offer specific areas of study. Together, these colleges create a powerful university that provides high-quality education to students and the community.
Ranking and Points of Pride
San Jose State University is also among the top 200 schools in the United States for total research and development. Every year, hundreds of government agencies, businesses, and private organizations work with SJSU faculty and specialists to perform research, public service and community projects, consulting, and other specialized educational activities. SJSU researchers work together with graduate and undergraduate student assistants to help make the world a better place.
- SJSU was ranked 8th overall among the West’s top public universities offering bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
- College of Engineering ranks #2 among comprehensive public universities (U.S. News 2014) and #48 worldwide (Business Insider 2012)
- Ranks #1 university in the U.S. for “Most Silicon Valley Hires” (Business Insider 2015)
- San Jose State’s student body reflects the diversity of the Bay Area, one of the most diverse regions in the world.
- Ranks #20 in the U.S. - “Colleges with the Best Return on Investment” (BestColleges.com)
- Graduate School of Business ranks in the top 300 (Princeton Review) and is AACSB accredited
- Animation ranks “Top 25 programs” in the Western U.S.
- Journalism and Mass Communications program: “50 best in the U.S.” (College Media Matters 2013)
- San Jose State’s Division I Athletics teams earned an all-time high Academic Progress Rate (APR) from the NCAA.
- You’ll enjoy a newly expanded Student Union and a new Student Wellness Center.
- SJSU received more than 56,000 applications from prospective students for Fall 2015, setting a new SJSU record.