Powering Silicon Valley
San Jose State University is Silicon Valley’s number one source of graduates in education, engineering, computer science and business. Companies in Silicon Valley employ more graduates from SJSU than from any other university in the U.S.. Watch this video and listen to the Mayor of San Jose, and many others speak about how important San Jose State University is to Silicon Valley.
Points of Pride
San Jose State University has many famous alumni in the fields of Business, Education, Journalism, Literature, Politics, Science and Engineering, Sports, as well as Olympic Medal winners. They include people such as Gordon Moore, founder of Intel Corporation; Ray Dolby, founder of Dolby Sound Systems; Ed Oates, co-founder of Oracle; Omid Kordestani, Senior VP for Global Sales at Google; Amy Tan, author of “The Joy Luck Club;” Dian Fossey, author of “Gorillas in the Mist;” and many more. We are very proud of their achievements.
Founded in 1857, San José State University is the oldest public institution of higher education on the West Coast. It began as a normal school that trained elementary school teachers. Over the years, it has developed into a university with seven colleges that specialize in arts, sciences, education, humanities and more. Each college has schools and programs that offer specific areas of study. Together, these colleges create a powerful university that provides high-quality education to students and the community.
San Jose State is the largest and the most diverse campus of the California State University System. It is under the leadership of President Mohammad Qayoumi.
San Jose State University is also among the top 200 schools in the United States for total research and development. Every year, hundreds of government agencies, businesses, and private organizations work with SJSU faculty and specialists to perform research, public service and community projects, consulting, and other specialized educational activities. SJSU researchers work together with graduate and undergraduate student assistants to help make the world a better place.
- As a Spartan, you get the best Silicon Valley has to offer, while having fun nearby in the Pacific Ocean, Yosemite National Park and San Francisco.
- Silicon Valley companies hire more San José State students and alumni than any other college or university in the country.
- SJSU was ranked eighth overall among the West’s top public universities offering bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
- San José State’s student body reflects the diversity of the Bay Area, one of the most diverse regions in the world.
- SJSU received more than 56,000 applications from prospective students for Fall 2015, setting a new SJSU record.
- San José State’s Division I Athletics teams earned an all-time high Academic Progress Rate (APR) from the NCAA.
- You’ll enjoy a newly expanded Student Union and a new Student Wellness Center.
- Spartans are leaders in sustainability with our comprehensive recycling program, bike and car share programs, and new buildings in progress designed to meet LEED standards.
- SJSU was selected as a regional winner of the 2015 W.K. Kellogg Foundation Community
Engagement Scholarship Award for the university’s community outreach initiatives.