San Jose, California
- San Jose is the “Capital of Silicon Valley,” the world’s center for technology and innovation.
- The headquarters for more than 6,000 major high-tech companies are in Silicon Valley.
- It is the third largest city in California.
- It is the 10th largest city in the United States.
- San Jose has an average of 300 sunny days a year.
- The average temperature is 21°C in Summer and 10°C in Winter.
- The beautiful Santa Cruz beaches are less than one hour to the south.
- Exciting San Francisco is one hour to the north.
Cultural diversity is the key to the success of Silicon Valley. People come from all over the world to study, to live and to work here. We are proud of the cultural and ethnic diversity of San Jose, and see it as a great strength. Our residents speak more than 56 different languages. The City of San Jose sponsors many cultural festivals and numerous ethnic chambers of commerce are active in our community.
Places of Worship
More than 20 different religious organizations offer places for prayer and worship near the SJSU campus. They include the South Bay Islamic Association, San Jose Buddhist Church Betsuin, Unitarian Church's Third Street Community Center, Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph, Hillel of Silicon Valley, and the Trinity Episcopal Cathedral. Some churches, such as the Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph and Trinity Episcopal Cathedral have been serving the religious needs of people in San Jose since the 1870’s.
If you are traveling by airplane, you will be happy to know that there are three international airports that serve this area: Mineta San Jose International Airport, San Francisco International Airport, and Oakland International Airport.
There are also many ways for students to get to the SJSU campus, including ride sharing, carpooling, mass transit or riding your bicycle. If they want to use public transportation, they can save money and “Spare the Air” by riding VTA. They can get free unlimited rides on all VTA buses & Light Rail with their SJSU Tower Card and an Eco Pass from the TS Center in the Student Union. Find out how they can get their pass at the Transit Solutions Center Office.