Student Petition Information
Undergraduate Academic Requirements Request Guidelines (08-09)
- Students are encouraged to consult with their major advisorsor, department chairs, the appropriate departments in the Student Services Center, or Academic Advisor from Academic Advising and Retention Services before submitting any petition/request(s)to Undergraduate Studies.
- Specific instructions for each request are printed on the petition forms available online.
- Students must make sure to read all instructions, attach all required materials, and obtain appropriate recommendations and approvals before submitting the request. Request/Petitions will not be considered if it is not complete filled out, attachements and/or signatures are missing or the information is untruthfull.
- Students are communicated via email and/or phone the final decision to approved/denied petition.
- An "appeal" may be made to the Office of Undergraduate Studies (UGS) if the request is denied by our office. Special appeals may be filed with the Ombudsperson when all other appeals have been exhausted.
The following categories are NOT considered for modification, waiver, or substitution:
- Changes made to academic records after graduation (student records become seal after graduation)
- Fewer than 120 semester units completed (not including repeats)
- Fewer than 40 semester units of upper division coursework
- Fewer than 30 semester units at SJSU for every degree (residence)
- Fewer than 48 units of GE
- Fewer than 9 units of SJSU Studies courses taken at SJSU (for students enrolling in Fall 1991 or later). Exceptions are made only if a student has completed all advanced GE courses while matriculated at another CSU campus.
- Fewer than 9 units upper division or residence GE (for students on prior to Fall 1991 requirements)
- More than 16 units of Grade Forgiveness.
- GE credit for SJSU, CSU, and California Community College courses not certified for GE or certified in different areas than SJSU
- Upper division credit for courses taken as lower division courses
- Graduating senior status as grounds for waiving requirements
The following requests may be approved directly on the Major Form by the major advisor. Do not submit a Petition.
- Fewer than total units required for degree (but at least 120)
- 100W taken outside of major department
- Excess supervised study units (180/184)