Graduate Student Orientation
Student Quotes from Previous Orientations
"It gave me the opportunity to meet people from different majors and from different parts of the world."
"It got me excited about being back at school after a 10-year hiatus!"
"I enjoyed the enthusiasm of the people hosting the event."
"The lunch provided was great and allowed us time to interact with one another."
"It made me feel welcomed to SJSU."
"Dr. B's words were so motivational and made everyone feel they were here to do something exceptional."
"I always wonder what a Bursar was in undergrad."
"The tours and information shared were extremely useful."
"It was useful to get familiarized with all the departments and their services."
"As a whole, orientation was very informative."
Welcome to San José State University!
SJSU's 2018 Fall Graduate Orientation is scheduled for Thursday, August 16, 2018. This is a great opportunity to learn more about our campus and being a graduate student! We are thrilled to have so many incoming graduates on campus at the same time. In order to make the day as comfortable as possible, please read the links we have included to the right of this message for information about your schedule, parking, and other activities available to you.
Registration is open unitl July 15, 2018.
Although all incoming students will start their program at the same time, the incoming class has been divided into two groups: SPARTAN BLUE and SPARTAN GOLD. You will remain with your assigned group for the entire orientation program. Each group has a different starting location. Make sure and check your registration ticket to confirm whether you are a SPARTAN BLUE or SPARTAN GOLD participant.
A resource fair is being held from 8:00 a.m. to 9:45 a.m. that day. This is a terrific way to learn more about resources available to you at SJSU.
Library and campus tours will also be held by pre-registration only. Registrants will receive reservation forms as orientation gets closer. Please visit the webpage regularly for updates.
A few reminders:
- Check your schedule. Spartan BLUE and Spartan GOLD balloons will lead you to your registration tables and venues. We cannot accommodate schedule changes.
- Look at the Orientation Event Map and be familiar with your venue location and any tours you may be taking. Note that you will move to a different building after your morning program. Check your orientation map and your schedule together.
- Come early to enjoy the Resource Fair and less crowded registration. If you are taking the late library tour, you must come to registration beforehand.
- To enter your session and have lunch, you will need the name tag given to you at registration. Check in using the surname you provided to SJSU for your student record.
- A light lunch will be provided midday and a reception is being held in the late afternoon.
- Due to the popularity of this event, we ask that you do not bring guests. They will be unable to attend the event with you.
- If you need special accommodations, please contact email@example.com.
Make sure and watch these videos before you come to campus for orientation.