New Degree Programs
Proposals for new programs can take up to 2 years to implement. (1) First a brief program projection must be approved by the CSU Board of Trustees to be included on the Academic Master Plan (requires department and college approval) and (2) the full degree program proposals must be approved by the campus and the Chancellor's Office.
- The full degree program proposals must first be reviewed as follows:
- College Curriculum Committee
- College Dean (or designee, normally College Associate Deans)
- Undergraduate Studies (UGS) Committee
Graduate Studies & Research (GS&R) Committee
- Curriculum & Research (C&R) Committee
- Chancellor's Office
Step By Step Explanation
- Step 1: As soon as you know your department is considering proposing a new degree, please contact the Curriculum Office to discuss proposal process and timelines.
- Step 2: Degree Projection on Academic Master Plan Approval by Board of Trustees.
- Complete the Projected Proposal Template for the AMP.doc
- Complete the Substantive Change Program Screening Form
- For reference, view the Current CSU Academic Master Plan: Campus Academic Plans
- For reference, view the CSU Degree Database Reports
Proposal Submission: Once your proposal is complete, upload the Projected Proposal Template for the AMP to a New Program Proposal in Curriculog.
- Deadline: Complete this by November 1 of Year 1.
- Step 3: Submit a full degree program proposal for campus approval.
- Complete the Program Proposal Template and Tips 2018.doc
- Complete an advising roadmap: Undergraduate 2-Year and 4-Year Templates
- Complete the Assessment Plan Template.doc
- Complete the Curriculum Map Sample Template.doc
- Complete the Budget Template.xls only if proposing a Special Session program.
- For reference, view the CSU Degree Proposal and Approval Process Flowchart.pdf
- For reference, view the Degree Proposal Review Criteria.pdf
- For reference, view the Faculty Proposal Checklist.doc
- For reference, view the Guidance for Proposing ITEP Programs.pdf
- For reference, view the Trustee Policies on Academic Program Planning.pdf
- Proposal Submission: Once your proposal is complete, upload the Full Degree Program Proposal to a New Program Proposal in Curriculog.
- Deadline: Complete this by October 1 of Year 2.
- Step 4: Approval of New Degree
- When your new degree program has been approved, you will receive a notification from the appropriate administrator in the College of Graduate Studies or the Undergraduate Education Office.
- The Curriculum Office will contact you to review and finalize your final catalog copy and any other necessary steps to implement the program.
- When the program is approved, the Curriculum Office will create an Academic Plan in PeopleSoft and work with the appropriate campus offices to include the program in CalState Apply.
- Please do not hesitate to contact the Curriculum Office for any questions or updates on the process as the program is implemented.
- More CSU Resources for New Degree Programs