Change of Major/Minor

Exploring the College of Humanities and the Arts

Thank you for your interest in the College of Humanities and the Arts! If you are an undeclared student, or if you just want to learn more about a specific major or minor within the H&A College, please contact a departmental advisor to discuss your area of interest and learn more about the program. Click here to explore the various H&A departments. If you have decided if you would like to pursue a major or minor within the H&A College, follow the next steps below.


Submission Windows

The H&A Student Success Center maintains submission windows in order to ensure that those who have submitted their Change of Major/Minor forms are processed in a timely manner by the end of the semester. Change of Major/Minor form submissions are due by close of business (5:00 PM) on the respective day outlined below.

  • Fall Semester: Second Monday of September through December 1st.
  • Spring Semester: Second Monday of February through May 1st.
  • Summer Semester: Second Monday of June through August 1st.

The H&A Student Success Center does not currently accept Change of Major/Minor requests for processing during the Winter term, and encourages students to submit them during the Spring term window.

Special exceptions exist for individuals where these guidelines would interfere with graduation, and other academically-related reasons. Please see the Exceptions to Deadlines section at the bottom of the page for a list of exceptions.


Before Changing/Adding Your Major/Minor

Before you change or add a major/minor, keep in mind that the College will consider the following factors when reviewing your request.

  • Number of accumulated units by the time of graduation.
    • If the requested major/minor will result in you having more than 150 cumulative units earned at graduation, your request will not be approved.
  • Cumulative SJSU GPA at the time of form submission.
    • If you are on academic probation, where your cumulative SJSU GPA is below 2.0, your request will not be approved.
  • Admission into the BFA Animation/Illustration
    • The BFA Animation/Illustration program does not currently accept any individuals through the Change of Major/Minor process. The program accepts only accepts students at the time of entry into the University through Freshman or Transfer admission.


Steps to Declaring/Changing a Major or Minor

To be eligible for a change of major or minor, you must be a matriculated student at SJSU in good academic standing. Please note that submitting a change of major form does not necessarily guarantee admission into the requested major/minor. 

Please use the form applicable to you and follow the instructions:

Fewer than 90 Units Greater than 90 Units
 1. Fill-in applicable form fields.  1. Fill-in applicable form fields.
 2. Acquire all major/minor advisor        signatures.  2. Acquire all major/minor advisor        signatures.
   3. Acquire Department Chair's               signature.
Your form will be valid only for
one month from earliest dated signature. 

 3. Attach the following to the form: 

    Unofficial transcript

 4. Attach the following to the form:

    Unofficial transcript 

    Personal statement explaining          request

    Major/minor forms of current            major (and minor if applicable)

    Major/minor forms of requested        major and/or minor.

 4. Deliver the form to "Window R"        Student Services Center  5. Deliver form and supporting             documents to H&A Student             Success Center.
 5. Wait for notification.  6. Wait for notification.


After Submission

We will notify you within 5-7 business days regarding the status of your request for forms of 90 or greater units. During this time, the H&A Student Success Center evaluates all documentation in order to determine whether the student is within University guidelines and will graduate in a timely manner.

  • If your request is approved, you will need to submit your petition, along with all required attachments, to Window “R” (Registrar’s) in the Student Services Center.
  • If your request is denied, we encourage you to meet with an H&A academic advisor to discuss your options.

Form submissions for under 90 units will be under evaluation of the Office of the Registrar, and for any questions the Office should be contacted directly.


Exceptions to Deadlines

  • Students who are graduating in the current term that they are attempting to change their major/minor and have missed the deadline will be allowed to submit petitions until the last day of the semester. A copy of the application for graduation and other supporting documentation is required, and the student must meet with an academic advisor.
  • Students whose acceptance into a program is dependent on a portfolio review will be allowed to submit petitions through the last day of final exams in a given term.
  • If a date for deadline change of major/minor submission falls on a weekend, or on a day when campus is closed for any reason, the deadline will be moved to the next open campus business day.