Change of Major/Minor
Exploring the College of Humanities and the Arts
Thank you for your interest in the College of Humanities and the Arts! If you are an undeclared student, or if you just want to learn more about a specific major or minor within the H&A College, please contact a departmental advisor to discuss your area of interest and learn more about the program. Click here to explore the various H&A departments. If you decide that you would like to pursue a major or minor within the H&A College, follow the guidelines below.
Declaring/Changing a major or minor
Declaring/Changing your major or minor at SJSU can be very daunting, so this page is designed to guide you through every step of the process. To be eligible for a change of major or minor, you must be a matriculated student at SJSU in good academic standing. Please use the form applicable to you and follow the instructions:
- Change of Major / Minor Request for students with fewer than 90 units - click here.
- Change of Major / Minor Request for students with 90 or more units - click here.
Once you have obtained all departmental signatures, you will need to submit your Change of Major/Minor application to the H&A Student Success Center (Clark Hall, 244) where it will be reviewed by the Center Director. You will be notified within 5-7 business days that your petition is ready for pick-up. If approved, you will need to submit your petition, along with all required attachments, to Window “R” (Registrar’s) in the Student Services Center. If denied, we encourage you to meet with an H&A academic advisor to discuss your options.
Please note that submitting a change of major form does not always guarantee admission into the requested major/minor. When reviewing your application, the College also considers the following factors:
- Number of accumulated units by the time of graduation. If the requested major/minor will result in more than 150 cumulative units earned at graduation, it will not be approved.
- Your cumulative SJSU GPA at the time that you apply. If you are on academic probation, your request will not be approved.
When to submit your application:
- Fall: Third Monday of September through December 1st.
- Spring: Third Monday of February through May 1st.
- Summer: Third Monday of June through August 1st.
Students whose acceptance into a program hinges on portfolio review will be allowed to submit petitions through the last day of final exams in a given term.
- Change of major/minor requests are valid for one month after the date of the first signature.