Applying for Graduation

Graduation Application Process

  1. Fill out the SJSU Graduation Application online. Print out and sign your completed graduation application, and have it with you when you meet with your major advisor.
  2. Meet with your major advisor(s) to obtain major form(s) (and minor form(s), if applicable) for each major you will be graduating with, and to get your graduation application signed. The major/minor form will contain a checklist of completed major/minor courses that you have completed, and verified by your major/minor advisor. The original major form must be signed and sealed in a departmental envelope provided by your major advisor or department.
  3. To check all other graduation requirements (i.e. GE, units, university requirements...etc), bring a copy of your major form to the H&A Student Success Center, located in Clark Hall 244, and meet with an academic advisor.
  4. Submit your graduation application along with your signed and sealed major form to the Registrar's window in the Student Services Center. Be sure to keep a copy for your records.
  5. Within a few months, you will receive an email (sent to the "preferred" email address listed on MySJSU) with your Graduation Worksheet attached. The graduation worksheet is a checklist of classes that outline the remaining classes you should take between the time of submission of your graduation application, and your anticipated graduation date.
  6. If you have any questions regarding your Graduation Worksheet, meet with an Academic Advisor in the H&A Student Success Center.


Substituting Courses

If you enroll any courses that were not originally listed on your major/minor form when you applied for graduation, you will need to meet with your major/minor advisor to complete a Substitution Form.

Submit your substitution form to the Registrar's window, window "R" in the Student Service Center.


Changing Your Graduation Date

If you will not be able to complete all of your degree requirements by term that you originally applied for, you must file a Graduation Date Change form with the Registrar's Office.  

The process of changing your graduation change form will include:

  • The graduation date change form.
  • $10 fee (to be paid to the Bursar's before submitting the form to the Registrar's)

Failure to submit this form will result in not receiving an enrollment appointment for any future terms after the term you originally applied for.



For information about commencement including location, dates, times, and ticket information, click here.