Frequently Asked Questions  

What is the difference between a BFA and a BA degree?

Students who are seriously interested in a career as a professional artist usually benefit from completing a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree. BFA programs prepare students for intellectually and aesthetically challenging careers in their field by providing courses that emphasize conceptual thinking and professional practice. BA programs allow students to study more broadly across a range of fields in a given discipline. Students who plan to teach at the elementary or high school levels usually complete a BA program with a teacher preparation component.  

 How many units from a community college will SJSU accept?

SJSU accepts a maximum of 70 units from a community college toward the 120 credit degree requirement. The rest of the units you earn toward your degree must be earned at an accredited four-year college or university. At least thirty of these units must be taken in residence at SJSU. 

How will I know which credits will transfer for SJSU degree requirements?

SJSU's transfer agreements differ from school to school, and change over time. Consult an adviser in the H&A Student Success Center about what credits or courses will transfer. Speak to your major advisor to confirm transferable credits/courses toward your major. More information about classes and transferability of courses can be found at transfer.sjsu.edu or www.assist.org.

 My Degree Progress Report says that I am missing requirements in my major that I have completed. How can I get this fixed?

Do not worry about the Major requirement section in your Academic Requirements page. The Graduation unit will use this page only to check off your General Education requirements. The Major form that you submit with your graduation application will be your official contract for graduation and your Graduation Evaluator will use this to create your graduation worksheet. Any changes, substitutions, and/or waivers must be included on this form, which you will submit with your graduation application.