Application Procedures and Forms
As noted, students are accepted from a wide range of undergraduate degree backgrounds, but must have basic knowledge of statistics and research methods. An undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above is preferred. Visit Graduate Studies & Research website to get more information on Application procedures and Forms
The deadline for the Fall 2016 online application is February 1st 2016. All documents must be received by February 20th 2016.
- Check the SJSU Graduate Studies website deadlines page for relevant deadlines.
- This program will accept applications until the deadline dates specified by the University.
- Deadline dates apply to completion of the online application form and payment of the fee (see Applying to SJSU Graduate Studies).
- Official transcripts and other documents are not subject to the deadlines and are processed as they are received.
Human Factors & Ergonomics Program Application Process
The University admission committee processes applications before releasing them for review by the Human Factors and Ergonomics program. The University review focuses on official documents being submitted as required and GPA in the last 60 semester units meets University minimum requirements. Please read and follow the instructions completely.
Send to Graduate Admissions Office:
(Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations, San José State University, One Washington Square, San José, CA 95192-0017)
- All original official transcripts (Most colleges will mail directly)
- On-line Admission form
- Check or money order for the application fee.
See Applying to SJSU Graduate Studies for current fee amount
Send to Dr. Louis Freund:
- Letter of intent outlining your interest and plans in attending the HF/E Graduate Program (same as Statement of Purpose on application form).
- You may also send your Vita, attaching any descriptive or supportive material regarding your academic or professional experience and accomplishments.
Louis Freund, Ph.D. Department Chair and Professor, Industrial & Systems Engineering Department Director, Graduate Program in Human Factors and Ergonomics San Jose State University One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0085 408-924-3890 email@example.com Note: The program review, following the University approval for program review and decision, also considers the Statement of Purpose. How to apply on-line: This on-line application applies to the Graduate Admissions portion of the process.
- Submit a completed application online. Or go here if you're unable to apply using the online application and selecting a printable form. The California State University Application is the same for all applicants.
- You will have to submit official transcripts to San Jose State University and this is explained in the graduate information.
- Send check (as indicated in the application instructions) to the SJSU Admissions and Records. Credit card option is available when applying online.
Three (3) letters of recommendation are required. They should be addressed to Dr. Freund, and should be on the writer’s business letterhead stationery. Please use any of the following methods to send them:
- Sealed letters must arrive by US mail or express mail service such as UPS with the "Right of Access to Letter of Recommendation" form completed. The form is available here. Sealed letters arriving without the form cannot be opened or considered until a completed Right of Access form is received.
- Unsealed letters may be sent by you to Dr. Freund as pdf attachments to an email.
- Unsealed letters may be attached to your vita and sent by you in US mail or express mail service to Dr. Freund.
- Pdf attachment letters may be sent by your recommenders to Dr. Freund by email. However, they will be accepted ONLY IF the email is also copied to you by the letter writer in the same email.
In general, emails with pdf attachments are not the preferred method for submitting documents for review. Material arriving by mail is preferred, as in #1 and #3 above.