How will the Affordable Care Act (ACA) & Covered CA affect me?
If you don't have health insurance
- Many students and their families will be eligible for financial assistance to purchase health insurance through Covered California
- Some will even qualify for the newly expanded Medi-Cal program (free to low-cost options), which is now also accessible through Covered California
If you already have health insurance
- You can now stay on your parents plan until 26 years old
- You benefit from free preventative services now required as part of all health insurance plans
- You can keep you coverage. You now benefit from new patient protections, such as health insurance plans not being able to charge you more because of your gender or pre-existing conditions
THE LAST DAY TO ENROLL IN COVERED CA IS MARCH 31, 2014. FIND OUT HOW TO ENROLL IN COVERED OR MEDI-CAL NOW!
Why is health insurance important?
A serious illness or even a simple accident could leave you with devastating bills. One visit to the ER can cost $3,000 or more.
It can keep you healthy.
Insurance pays for doctor visits, hospital care, prescriptions, emergencies and more. Preventive care is free.
It’s the law.
In 2014, most Americans will be required to have insurance or pay a penalty.
The Student Health Center is NOT health insurance
The SJSU Student Health Center is a valuable student resource providing students primary care and preventative services, but it is not insurance. Having insurance will cover you for other important services such as emergency care, specialty care, and after hours care.
Find Out How You Might Qualify for Low-Cost Health Insurance through Covered CA or Medi-Cal:
- Use the Covered CA shop and compare calculator tool to see what you might qualify for.
- Check out our presentation on the "ACA & Covered CA: What Students Need to Know (PDF)" including the answers to common myths and more FAQs.
- How does the ACA impact the CSU community?
- About the ACA
- About Covered California
- Why do I need coverage?
- Covered California Insurance Options
- Covered California Insurance Costs
- What if I already have health insurance?