Child Abuse Mandatory Reporting
Per California Penal Code §§ 11164-11174.3 (the California Child and Neglect Reporting Act or CANRA) and California State University Executive Order 1083, every CSU employee is now a mandated reporter for suspected child abuse or neglect. Only volunteer employees are exempt.
To comply with the Executive Order, each employee must complete the Acknowledgment of Mandated Reporter Status and Legal Duty to Report Child Abuse and Neglect form and submit it to Human Resources no later than January 31, 2013 or on your first day of hire.
An online training course is being developed by the Chancellor's Office and once it is available, each employee must complete that as well. We will provide more information about how to do that once the course is available. In lieu of that training, please review the following information outlined in the Executive Order 1083:
Section II: When Reporting is Required
Section III: Abuse That Must be Reported
Section IV: What is Not Child Abuse?
Section VI of the Executive Order outlines the procedures for making a report and identifies Form SS 8572 (Suspected Child Abuse Report) which must be completed and submitted once the incident has been reported.
Per the Executive Order we have designated the Associate Vice President for Human Resources, Beth Pugliese, as the Mandated Reporting Coordinator for San José State. All other managers in Human Resources have been designated as the backup coordinators and will be trained accordingly. Going forward all position descriptions and job announcements will include language that indicates the incumbent is a mandated reporter. Existing positions descriptions do not need to be updated.
All Mandated Reporting Child Abuse reporting information, related forms, and general instructions can be found on the pages below. If you are having trouble finding anything please call Human Resources (408) 924-2250.
- Child Abuse - Executive Order 1083
- Child Abuse - Executive Order 1083, Attachment A - Acknowledgment of Mandated Reporter Status
- Child Abuse - Executive Order 1083, Attachment B - Certificate of Training Completion
- Child Abuse - Executive Order 1083, Attachment C - Penal Code Sections 11165.7, 11166, and 11167
- Child Abuse - Executive Order 1083, Attachment D - Suspected Child Abuse Report Form SS 8872
- Child Abuse - Executive Order 1083, Attachment D - Suspected Child Abuse Report Form SS 8872 - Definitions and General Instructions