Become an RTC Ð State Recreation Therapist Certified
Upon graduating from SJSU in Recreation Therapy, you will be eligible to take the National (CTRS) and State Certification exams (RTC).
- The CTRS credential is recognized by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) and the commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) as well as many governmental regulatory agencies.
- Entry level professionals who seek these credentials you will need to complete the
- A Bachelor of Science or Master of Science in Therapeutic Recreation.
- Designated coursework
- Full-time internship under the supervision of a CTRS (16 weeks during the student's last semester before graduation)
- Pass the NCTRC National Certification exam and/or the CBRPC State Certification exam
- The CTRS' certification is designed to exemplify the profession's dedication to quality standards and professional excellence.
- There are nearly 30, 000 therapeutic recreation specialists/ recreation therapists in the United States.
- CTRS have demonstrated a unique set of competencies, abilities, and skills for practice in a wide variety of health care and human service settings.
- National Certification information
- For State Certification information
* Recreation Therapy in California is currently undergoing the endeavor of obtaining licensure.