- Name:Dr. Kate Sullivan
- Office: SPX 54
- Phone: 408.924.3201
Whether you are a new student to the University or a transfer student from another major, the Hospitality Management department has several undergraduate programs ready to suit your needs! For more information about specific degree lines, click on one of the links below.
For information on how to apply to the undergraduate programs, visit CSU Mentor.
Impaction/ Change of Major Criteria effective February 16th, 2012:
Department of Hospitality Management
Change of Major Policy and Criteria.
The Department of Hospitality Management has a wonderful program in Hospitality, Tourism and Event Management. The program is impacted and requires that students, who want a change of major, take two qualifying courses (ENGL 1B and the introductory course to the major) and have a GPA of at least 2.5 for admittance. Additionally, the Hospitality, Tourism and Event Management major has limited space available and students seeking a change of major to this degree program have additional requirements and timelines for admittance. The criteria and process for each major is outlined below.
Hospitality, Tourism and Event Management Major: Current SJSU undergraduate students seeking to change their major to the Hospitality, Tourism and Event Management degree, need to know some things about entering the major:
- The priority for entering the major first goes to new freshman and transfer students who meet the impaction criteria for admission to the major. Once the number of new freshman and transfer students is determined, the remainder of available space will be reserved for change of major students. The available space will vary from one semester to the next.
- Declaring Hospitality, Tourism and Event Management will be very competitive. A rule of thumb for a target GPA is 3.0. In other words you should seek an overall SJSU GPA of 3.0 or higher to have a strong chance of qualifying to be a Hospitality, Tourism and Event Management major.
- Have a back-up plan! Consider a second major, outside of Hospitality, Tourism and Event Management, that interests you. You may want to begin taking introductory courses in that major, in case you do not qualify for Hospitality, Tourism and Event Management.
- Students are required to apply for change of major (see below). Students who have been accepted will be contacted by email regarding their application status within 5 business days (make sure your email address is up to date).
Current SJSU undergraduate students seeking to change their major to the Hospitality, Tourism and Event Management degree, must meet the following requirements:
- Students must have an established cumulative SJSU GPA of at least 2.5 or higher, and have passed both ENGL 1B and HSPM 001 (Introduction to Hospitality Management) with a grade of “C” or better. The 2.5 GPA is a minimal GPA requirement and will not guarantee entrance to the major (see above).
- Once a student has attained the criteria above, he/she should complete a change of major form and bring the form and a copy of the most recent SJSU transcript (please highlight the qualifying classes) to the main department office in SPX 50 for verification of requirements.