Public Health as a Major


Public Health as a Major

If you choose to pursue a B.S. in Public Health, you will join a group of students dedicated to documenting, monitoring, assessing, and improving the health of all communities, especially those who are marginalized.

We offer a B.S. in Public Health and a B.S. in Public Health with a Concentration in Health Services Administration

Please note: Students in the Public Health major are required to either completed complete 21 units of upper division electives or complete a minor. For students who decide to pursue a minor, their minor substitutes for those elective units.

Changing your major to Public Health

The Public Health degree program is “impacted” which means the number of students who can be admitted to the major is limited. Each semester, we offer a competitive opportunity for students already at SJSU to apply to change their major to Public Health. The next opportunity will be announced during the Fall 2018 semester.


Criteria for Admission to Health Science

In order to apply, you must have completed at least 12 units of college coursework (at SJSU or another college). Students will be admitted based on their SJSU GPA or their All College GPA (whichever favors the applicant).

For the past three semesters, we have admitted students with between a 3.0 - 4.0 GPA. Students with GPAs in the 2.8 - 3.0 range have sometimes been admitted. Students with below a 2.8 GPA have rarely been admitted. We do look at special circumstances (like one course with an F that pulls down a GPA from what would otherwise have been a 3.0 or very strong performance in Public Health preparatory courses amidst poorer performance in other courses). Please note any special circumstances on the application form in the final question. There is no limit to the number of times a student may apply to the major, however, it is important to find your major within a reasonable time frame for you to complete the necessary courses at SJSU, so if you find you are applying multiple times, we encourage you to seek advising support with our faculty or with the CASA Success Center to see whether there is an alternative pathway to meet your goals aside from through the Public Health major.