Academic and Test Preparation (ATP)
Improve your English and develop the academic skills necessary for success in an American university or college. The Academic and Test Prep program is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA), so you can be sure the instruction you receive is of the highest quality.
Admission Requirements Advising Student Activities
- You must be 18 years or older or have graduated from high school
- F-1 and Non-F1 visa holders are welcome to apply
- Classes start year round (January, March, June, August or October)
- Study for a full semester (17 weeks) or a 9-week session
- 20 hours of classes per week for full-time students (F-1 visas)
- Non F-1 visas have different class requirements
- 8 proficiency levels from low beginner to advanced
- Classes meet 2 hours each day with morning and afternoon schedules
- Core courses in Oral Communication, Written Communication, and Reading Skills
- Learn test preparation strategies with our GRE and TOEFL elective classes and workshops
- Customize your study schedule with elective classes such as:
- English through TED Talks
- American History
- TOEFL Preparation
- Business English
- Clear Communication
*This is an example schedule. Actual student schedule may be different.
|Written Communication||Reading Skills||Written Communication||Reading Skills||Written Communication|
|Oral Communication||Oral Communication||Oral Communication|
- Small class sizes
- Free campus Wi-Fi access
- Free Clipper Card - local transportation pass
- Regularly scheduled Institutional (paper-based) TOEFL
- Students with passing grades (A, B, C, or D) receive a "Certificate of Completion" at the
end of their term
- Full-time advanced students in the ATP program who meet the TOEFL requirement may be able to take one to two SJSU classes along with ATP English classes.
- Students may be eligible to take three to six units of transferable university credit in a variety of subjects.
- Concurrent enrollment courses are based on availability. Business, art, computer science, and some engineering courses are limited.
- There is an additional fee of $100 per unit for SJSU classes.