Academic and Test Preparation (ATP)
Improve your English and develop the academic skills necessary for success in an American university or college. The Academic and Test Prep program is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA).
Meshal Alshahrani, SJSU Mechanical Engineering student and NASA intern, shares his
experience at International Gateways
- Study for a full semester (17 weeks) or a 9-week session
- Classes start year round (January, March, June, August or October)
- 20 hours of academic English and test preparation per week
- 8 proficiency levels from low beginner to advanced
- Classes meet 2 hours each day from Monday – Friday with morning and afternoon schedules
- Core courses in Oral Communication, Written Communication, and Reading Skills
- Customize your program with elective classes such as English through Music, American History, TOEFL Preparation, Business English, Presentation Skills or Pronunciation
- Small class sizes
- Academic and immigration advising
- Free campus Wi-Fi access
- Weekly student activities and cultural learning opportunities, conversation club, and cultural exchange partner program
- Concurrent enrollment in SJSU classes for advanced level students who meet the TOEFL requirements
- Regularly scheduled Institutional (paper-based) TOEFL included in program
- Students with passing grades (A, B, C, or D) receive a "Certificate of Completion" at the end of their term.
- Full-time advanced students in the ATP program who meet the TOEFL requirement may be able to take 1-2 SJSU classes along with ATP English classes.
- Students may be eligible to take 3 to 6 units of transferable university credit in a variety of subjects.
- Concurrent enrollment courses are based on availability. Business, art, computer science, and some engineering courses are limited.
- There is an additional fee of $100 per unit for SJSU classes.
- Work with an Academic Advisor to plan for your academic career after International Gateways
- Advisors help you apply to SJSU undergraduate and graduate degree programs or help you with transferring to local community colleges
Applicant must be 18 years or older or have graduated from high school.
To apply for the program, please visit the Apply page for more information.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.