Welcome to International Student Advising (ISA)
The International Student Advising (ISA) is a unit under the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), formerly known as International Program and Services (IPS). ISA provides focused support for our increasing number of international students on all immigration advising to our F and J visa holders.
Information for SJSU International StudentsPlease read this message and our recommendations in response to the recent Executive Order regarding entry into the United States. We are here to support you and you are welcome here at San Jose State University.
Check out our upcoming events!
- OPT Application Deadline: All students graduating in the Fall 2016 semester need to apply for OPT prior to 02/28/2017. This means USCIS (U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services) must receive your OPT application no later than 02/28/2017.
- NEW OPT Application Fee: As of 12/23/2016, the Optional Practical Training (OPT) fee increased to $410. More information can be found here.
- Travel Signature Reminder: Please remember to get your Form I-20 signed for travel at least 10-15 business days prior to traveling outside the U.S. Travel signatures are valid for one year for students enrolled in a degree program at SJSU and for 6 months for students on OPT. Our travel signature request form can be found here.
- Fraud scheme targets international students! Read about it on USCIS's national blog. USCIS nor the US Government will never ask for personal information or payment over the phone. Most calls seem to be from "911." 911 cannot call you- if they do, it is a scam.
- Registration for Spring 2017 classes has begun. Check your MySJSU account for your registration start date and time and to register as soon as possible. Also, pay your fees on or before the payment due date. Classes will be dropped if you do not pay on time.
- Health Insurance Requirement: You will need to renew your health insurance coverage for Spring 2017 before you can register for Spring classes. The required university health insurance plan can be purchased online (select: 2016-2017 SJSU-International). Insurance holds will be removed within 24 hours after purchasing coverage.
- ISSS Document Request Processing: ISSS processing time for all applications is 10-15 business days. Plan ahead and submit your requests ahead of time!
- OPT/CPT Applications: Attendance at an ISSS Employment Workshop is mandatory in order to submit an application for OPT or CPT. Employment Workshops are offered on Thursdays from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM and Fridays from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM at Clark Hall 543.
- Graduate Students Candicacy and Graduation: Check out the GAPE Candidacy and Graduation deadlines