Welcome to International Student Advising (ISA)
The International Student Advising (ISA) is a unit under the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), formerly known as International Program and Services (IPS). ISA provides focused support for our increasing number of international students on all immigration advising to our F and J visa holders.
News & Updates
- OPT Payment Methods- On February 14, 2018, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced that, in addition to the application methods of a money order, personal check, and cashier's check, it will now accept credit card. To pay by Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover, applicants will need to use Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions. USCIS will enter credit card data into the Pay.gov system, operated by the U.S. Department of the Treasury, and will then destroy the Form G-1450 to protect the credit card information.
- Travel Advisory - For detailed information on the recent Presidential Proclamation on Visas, please visit the U.S Department of State website. If you are currently abroad and planning to re-enter the U.S., read the information provided at the bottom of the page on the Department of State link above. If you are currently in the U.S. and plan to travel abroad, be sure to consult with an International Student Advisor before you travel.
- Full Time Enrollment Requirement: Every semester you must enroll in a full course of study. If you are unsure what a full course of study is or if you would like to discuss taking less than a full course load, please speak with an ISA.
- Health Insurance Requirement: You will need to renew your health insurance coverage for Fall 2017 before you can register for classes. The required university health insurance plan can be purchased online. Insurance holds will be removed within 48 hours after purchasing coverage.
- ISSS Document Processing Time: The standard ISSS document processing time for all applications is 15 business days. Be sure to plan accordingly and submit a complete application with ALL the required documents, information, and signatures to avoid processing delays.
- F-1 Employment Workshops: Attendance at an employment workshop is mandatory before you can apply for OPT or CPT. Employment workshops are Thursdays from 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. and Fridays from 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. in Student Union West (ISSS). Be sure to arrive 5 minutes before the start time of the workshop. Late arrivals will be asked to attend a workshop on a different date.
- Change of Status to F-1 Workshop - Beginning in September 2017, the ISSS Change of Status to F-1 workshop will be held on the first and third Tuesday of the month only.
- Graduate Students: check out the GAPE Candidacy and Graduation deadlines
- SJSU Library - Our SJSU library catalog has expanded! Now you can request books from all 23 CSU campuses. Use your Tower Card as your library card.