Frequently Asked Questions

What type of paperwork do I need to submit in order to hire an F-1 student?

Employers do not have to process any additional paperwork when hiring an international student, only what is required when hiring a U.S. Citizen. It is the student’s responsibility to apply for the work authorization. All paperwork is handled by the student and the International Student Advising (ISA) department.

What does the student’s work authorization look like?

Pre-Completion OPT, Post-Completion OPT and the 17-Month STEM Extension approvals are granted upon the student receipt of an Employment Authorization Document (EAD Card). Students on CPT will receive confirmation through authorization located on the third page of their I-20.

When can a student work?

In general, a student may be authorized to work off-campus after a full academic year (two semesters) in good standing. Work may be authorized during or after the student’s course of study. The student may not begin work until they have received their authorization documentation and the start date given has been reached.

How many hours per week can a student work?

During fall and spring semesters, students may only work part-time, (20 hours or less per week). During the summer, students may work full-time, (up to 40 hours per week). Graduate students who have only their thesis or project remaining may be authorized to work full-time during the semester on Post-Completion OPT or Pre-Completion OPT.

What is E-Verify?

E-Verify is an online system which allows businesses to determine the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States. Students on the 17-Month (STEM) Extension may only work with companies enrolled in E-Verify. To learn more about E-verify, please visit the USCIS E-Verify page.

Are F-1 students subject to taxes?

While employers typically withhold Medicare/Social Security taxes from employee’s wages; this is NOT the case for non-resident, F-1 students. They are exempt from these taxes, though they are still subject to income tax withholding. An F-1 student is considered a non-resident for his or her first five calendar years in the United States. Please consult with a tax professional for more information on F-1 student taxes.

Additional Resources