Post Completion OPT
What is Post-Completion OPT?
Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) is temporary employment authorization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The work students pursue while on Post-Completion OPT must be directly related to his/her/their major field of study. Post-Completion OPT may be used either 1) after the completion of a degree program or 2) after completion of all course requirements other than thesis, project or comprehensive final exam. Post-Completion OPT is generally issued for a duration of 12 months, but may be for less time if the student has previously applied and been granted Pre-Completion OPT.
How do I apply for Post-Completion OPT?
1) View the Post-OPT Tutorial.
2) Submit the required documents to ISSS. See Step 2 on the OPT I-20 Request Form.
3) Wait for new I-20 to be created. ISSS will send you an email when it is ready for pick-up.
4) Pick up I-20 and prepare OPT packet for USCIS application. See Step 4 on the OPT I-20 Request Form. Check out our I-765 Completion Guidelines before you complete the form and always make sure to visit USCIS's website for the most up-to-date forms and instructions.
5) Optional: Attend an OPT Packet Review Workshop. Check ISSS calendar for dates.
7) Wait for EAD card to arrive before beginning any employment (paid or unpaid).
While Form I-765 is Pending - What Should I Do?
Check Processing Time Online
Click here to check I-765 application processing times at Potomac Service Center.
Under <Forms> select ’I-765’, for <Service Center> select ‘Potomac Service Center’, click ‘Get Processing Time’ button.
Check your Case Status Online
Enter the Receipt Number from your USCIS receipt notice (Form I-797C). You also have an option to sign up for an account to get automatic case updates, including U.S. Postal Service (USPS) tracking number. This is different from G-1145 E-Notification of Application Acceptance.
To inquire about your case outside normal processing times, Submit a Case Inquiry.
Update Your Address
Have you moved after applying for OPT? Update your mailing address with USCIS here:Online Change of Address.
Sign up for USPS Informed Delivery
Sign up for this service to receive delivery status notifications. USCIS is using USPS Signature Confirmation Restricted Delivery service to mail EAD.
Label Your Mailbox
To ensure proper and timely delivery of any USCIS notifications including the application approval and EAD card, we strongly recommend you add a label to your mailbox with your full name (Last and First Name used on Form I-765).
Practice the Art of Being Patient
USCIS I-765 processing times range from 3.5 to 5 months. While you wait for USCIS to process your application, focus on securing your dream job, practice your hobbies, and try your best best not to worry about why your application hasn’t been approved yet.
Be patient and enjoy your free time! Once your OPT is approved you will be required to work full-time in order to maintain F-1 status and be able to legally stay in the U.S.
After Form I-765 is Approved - What Should I Do?
OPT Reporting Requirements
Once you receive your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) and it becomes active (EAD start date), you are required to comply with federal OPT reporting requirements in order to maintain F-1 status. Click here to learn more about OPT Reporting Responsibilities.
EAD Typographic Error(s)
After receiving your Employment Authorization Document (EAD), check the card for any errors, especially the work authorization dates.
If you receive a receipt notice, document or card from USCIS that contains a typographic error, submit a USCIS Service request.
Depending on the nature of the error (name, date of birth) you may need to return the card to USCIS to obtain a corrected replacement card.
How Do I Maintain F-1 Status While on OPT?
While on OPT you must follow certain rules to maintain your F-1 status:
- You may only work from the start date to the end date listed on the EAD (no more than 12 months of work authorization).
- All employment (paid and unpaid) must be related to your major field of study.
- Report all employment and address changes to ISSS within 10 days of the change. You will use the SEVP Portal or ISSS Employment Update Report form. The following information must be reported within 10 days:
- Your residential address
- Phone number, email address
- Employer’s name, address
- Job title
- Start and/or end dates of employment
- Any periods of unemployment
- Date you are exiting the U.S. (if you leave prior to the end date of your OPT)