Post Completion OPT
ISSS now offers online F-1 Employment Tutorials. Please click on the following link for the Post-Completion OPT Tutorial
What is Post-Completion OPT?
Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) is temporary employment authorization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The work students pursue while on Post-Completion OPT must be directly related to his/her/their major field of study. Post-Completion OPT may be used either 1) after the completion of a degree program or 2) after completion of all course requirements other than thesis, project or comprehensive final exam. Post-Completion OPT is generally issued for a duration of 12 months, but may be for less time if the student has previously applied and been granted Pre-Completion OPT.
How do I apply for Post-Completion OPT?
1) View the Post-OPT Tutorial.
2) Submit the required documents to ISSS.
3) Wait for new I-20 to be created. Collect I-20 when ready.
4) Pick up I-20 and send out required documents to USCIS.
5) Wait for EAD card to arrive before beginning any employment (paid or unpaid).
6) Submit a copy of your EAD card to our office and report your employment through the SEVP Portal. For instructions on how to access and use the SEVP Portal, please click on the following link: SEVP Portal Guidelines