Curricular Practical Training


Students are required to attend an ISSS Employment Workshop 

before applying for CPT.


Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is a temporary employment authorization for F-1 international students who are currently pursuing a program of study at SJSU and want to gain practical training in their major fields of study. CPT may be authorized for a paid or unpaid position. Employment on CPT may include internships, practicums, cooperative education and other types of off-campus employment. Most CPT positions are off-campus; however, there are also a limited number of jobs located on-campus that require CPT authorization.  


How long does it take to receive CPT authorization?

ISSS requires 1 to 15 business days (excluding weekends and other campus closures) to process your application. After submitting a complete application to ISSS, you will receive an e-mail within 15 business days to pick-up your CPT I-20. Incomplete applications or failure to enroll in a CPT course prior to submitting your application to ISSS will result in a delay in processing.  


Am I eligible for CPT authorization?

You may be eligible for CPT authorization if you:

  • Attended an F-1 Employment Workshop offered by the ISSS office;
  • Are currently in valid F-1 status;
  • Are currently pursuing a degree program at SJSU;
  • Are currently enrolled full-time (excluding summer break) or have been authorized by ISSS for a Reduced Course Load (RCL);
  • Were enrolled full-time for at least two consecutive semesters (excluding summer break); 
      • One semester of study as a full-time student at another SEVIS approved college, university, conservatory, or seminary may be counted to fulfill this requirement if there was no break between programs. English language programs and Open University enrollment may not be counted. 
      • Students who attended school full-time in another non-immigrant status (e.g. H-4 or H-1B) may count one semester of full-time study prior to changing to F-1 status. To count your first semester in F-1 status, you must have been in F-1 status from the first day of classes for that semester. 
  • Have a current job offer from your employer;
  • Are enrolled in an internship course within your major department during the same term as the CPT experience;
  • Are in good academic standing (minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 for graduate, 2.0 for undergraduate);
  • Are in good disciplinary standing; and
  • Are not enrolled in an extension of your project/thesis/comprehensive exam.


Am I required to enroll in a course for CPT?

Yes. Federal immigration regulations require CPT to be an integral part of your academic program. At SJSU, this means you must either enroll in a course or an independent study that requires work experience to complete the course requirements. The only time you are not required to enroll in a course for CPT is when your department requires work experience to complete your degree program, but does not require course enrollment. This must be true for all students in the same degree program.

Please note:

  • The course/independent study must be offered through your major department.
  • The course/independent study may count toward your full-time enrollment requirement for either fall or spring semesters.
  • If you are in your final semester, you must register for at least one course required to complete your degree program in addition to the CPT course. Unless it is a requirement of your degree program for all students, you may not enroll in only a CPT course during your final semester. This also applies to students graduating during the summer break when enrollment is not required.


Do I need a job offer to apply for CPT?

Yes, you must have a current job offer letter to apply for CPT because CPT is authorized for a specific employer.  


What information must be included in the offer letter from my employer?

The letter must be signed by your employer, be on company letterhead, be dated within the last 3 months, and include:

  1. Your job title;
  2. Description of your general day-to-day work responsibilities;
  3. Approximate employment start and end dates (fall semester, spring semester, or specific dates are OK);
  4. Approximate number of hours per week you will work (full-time, part-time, or a number are OK); and
  5. The exact physical address of the location of your employment including: 
      • Street number
      • Street name
      • Suite/Building number (if applicable)
      • City
      • State
      • Postal Code


When may I begin working?

You may begin your CPT employment after you have obtained your I-20 with CPT authorization from ISSS. CPT authorization cannot be back-dated.

CPT is authorized for a specific time frame. You may not begin working before the start date or continue working after the end date listed on your I-20.

The authorization periods are as follows:

Fall Semester: 1st day of class – December 31
Spring Semester: January 1 – May 31
Summer Semesters: June 1 – 1 day before class start


What if I begin working before I receive my CPT I-20?

Working before you have your new CPT I-20, starting before the CPT start date or continuing to work after the end date, or working for a company other than the one listed on your I-20 is considered unauthorized employment and may result in termination of your SEVIS record. 


How many hours may I work per week?

Fall and Spring CPT

  • You may work part-time (20 hours/week or less). You may work variable hours each week, but no more than 20 hours.
  • Even in your final semester or while on project/thesis/comprehensive exam you are limited to part-time work as a graduate or undergraduate student.
  • Students in degree programs that require full-time employment during a fall or spring semester may be permitted to work full-time. This requirement must apply to all students enrolled in the same degree program.

Summer CPT

  • You may work full-time (20 hours/week or more). You may work variable hours each week.
  • You must continue to be enrolled for the following fall semester to be eligible.
  • If you are graduating in the summer, you must be enrolled in at least one course that is required for your degree program in addition to the CPT course to be eligible.

You are not required to work while on CPT.  If you end your CPT early, please inform ISSS so that we can shorten your CPT.


Is there a limit on the number of CPT authorizations?

Yes. SJSU policy allows CPT authorization up to three times per degree level. 

CPT is employer specific and is authorized on a semester-by-semester basis. Each new employer requires a new CPT authorization. Each new semester requires a new CPT authorization, even if it is with the same employer. 

Some academic departments may also limit the number of times you may enroll in the internship course. Some departments may only allow you to enroll once, twice or not at all. This may further limit your eligibility for the standard three CPT authorizations. Check with your department academic advisor for more information.


May I change employers?

Yes. However, you may only work for the employer listed on your I-20. If you change employers, you must obtain a new CPT authorization. You must stop working for one employer before beginning to work with a new employer and have your new CPT I-20 indicating your authorization in your hands before working for your new CPT employer. 


May I work for multiple employers in the same term?

No. You may only be authorized to work at one employer per CPT authorization during a specific timeframe.


May I extend my CPT?

Yes, you may work for the same employer for more than one authorization period. You must allow for up to 15 business days for processing to receive your next CPT authorization and may not continue working unless you have your new CPT I-20 in your hands.


How will CPT impact my OPT period?

Time used on CPT will not be deducted from your OPT; however, students that use 12 months (within the limit of 3 authorizations) of full-time CPT will not be eligible for OPT.


How do I apply for CPT?

  1. Confirm with your major department to confirm that they offer an internship course or an independent study and that you are eligible to have an internship.
  2. Attend an ISSS Employment Workshop. Workshops are held every Thursday at 10:30 a.m. and every Friday at 3:00 p.m. Please come to the ISSS office at least five minutes before the session starts.
  3. Pick-up the ISSS CPT request form at the employment workshop or at the ISSS office.
  4. Complete the ISSS CPT form and take it with your employment offer letter to your academic advisor for review. Your academic advisor must sign the CPT form and will give you an add code for the class.
  5. Enroll in the class.
  6. Submit the completed ISSS CPT application form and a copy of your offer letter to ISSS.
  7. We will e-mail you within 15 business days to pick-up your CPT I-20. Your I-20 will serve as proof of your eligibility to work in the United States for a specific employer and during a specific period of time.


What causes delays or denial of CPT authorization?

  • Your job offer letter does not include all of the required information.
  • You did not completely fill out the ISSS CPT form.
  • Your academic advisor did not complete fill out the advisor section of the ISSS CPT form.
  • You are not enrolled in the required course at the time we process your form.
  • You do not meet the eligibility requirements.