Students who have F-1 status may work under certain circumstances while they are in the United States. There are two major categories of work for which an international student may qualify.
- ON CAMPUS EMPLOYMENT
- OFF CAMPUS EMPLOYMENT (employment must be approved by IPS or USCIS prior to beginning)
- Severe Economic Hardship: Must be authorized by USCIS
- Curricular Practical Training: Internship authorized by International Student Advisor
- Optional Practical Training: 12 months authorized by USCIS per degree level
- Required Employment Reports: Important student maintenance responsibilities while on Post-Completion OPT:
The following pages include a basic description of the rules, instructions of getting authorization, and information on the kinds of work which may be authorized. Please keep in mind that the information provided online is only general information and does not substitute an advising session or attendance at the mandatory F-1 Employment Workshop. See Weekly Workshops.