Required Employment Reports
Important Student Responsibilities While on Post-Completion OPT and the 17-Month STEM Extension
After receiving your EAD card from USCIS for your authorized Post-completion OPT, and later for the 17-Month STEM Extension, you must immediately bring, email or fax a photocopy to the IPS Office.
Students who are on Post-completion OPT and are unemployed for more than 90 days will be considered in violation of status. You must average at least 20 hours a week of paid/unpaid/volunteer work while on Post-completion OPT. Averaging less than 20 hours a week in a month (including weekends) will require you to report days of unemployment. Go to our Guide to Unemployment (pdf) for additional information.
Student Reporting Requirements while on Post-completion OPT or the 17-Month STEM Extension:
Submit the Post-Completion OPT Student Employment Report Form or the 17-Month STEM Extension Employment Report Form, as appropriate.
Report the following to IPS within 10 days of any change:
- Legal name changes
- A change in residential or mailing address
- Any changes in employment: new address of employment, or change to a new employer (including change in company name), giving name and employer address
- Any loss of employment
Additional Reporting Requirements While on the 17-Month STEM Extension (required every 6 months beginning on the Extension start date and ending when the Extension ends):
- Full legal name
- SEVIS ID number
- Current residential address
- Date you began working for your current employer
- Name and address of your current employer
If you are on the 17-Month STEM Extension, you must:
- work for an E-Verify employer
- work in a position related to your recently awarded STEM degree
- have not accrued more than 120 days of unemployment during the combined period of Post-completion OPT and 17-month STEM Extension. This will constitute a violation of your F-1 status. Go to our Guide to Unemployment (pdf) for additional information.
FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH ANY OF THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS CONSTITUTES A VIOLATION OF YOUR LEGAL F-1 STATUS.