Severe Economic Hardship

Off-campus employment due to Severe Economic Hardship is permitted only in cases where there is economic necessity due to unforeseen circumstances. The purpose of this work authorization is to enable you to earn income that is needed to pay tuition and living expenses because your sponsor cannot provide sufficient funds. You may not apply for this work permission until you have been in full-time F-1 status for two academic semesters.

A student who wants to apply for Severe Economic Hardship employment must provide evidence that they are not receiving enough money to pay for school expenses, and that the cause for not receiving enough money was not expected when first coming to the U.S.

Please see an International Student Advisor to obtain an application.