FAQs for Transferring In and Out

  1. I am transferring to SJSU.  What do I need to do?

International students may transfer from one school to another to complete a degree or begin a new program. To do so, you must acquire admission, and you must be enrolled within 5 months of admission to the new program. You will be required to have the previous school complete the SJSU Transfer In Form (pdf) and send to SJSU, then release your record in SEVIS (you should have been enrolled full-time at the previous school in the term prior to the transfer).  After registering at SJSU, you must submit the SJSU I-20 to the IPS Office within 15 days after the beginning of the classes to complete the transfer process with USCIS. If no SJSU I-20 was issued at the time of acceptance, please check in with the IPS Office immediately.

2. I would like to transfer from SJSU to another university. What do I need to do?

In order to transfer to another university, you will first need to apply and be admitted to another school. You can then fill out the IPS Transfer Out Form (pdf), and give it to IPS with your acceptance letter from the new school, as well as the new university’s transfer-in form (if applicable).  IPS will then electronically transfer your SEVIS record to the new school, and the new school can then create a transfer I-20 for you.   If you are currently enrolled at SJSU, your SEVIS release date will be the end of the semester, unless you can provide documentation and a reason for an earlier release date.  

3. I am on Post-completion OPT and would like to begin a new program of study/transfer to another school.  What do I need to do?

Please start by reading question 2.  Students on OPT can be released at any time during OPT, or within the 60-day grace period after the end date of OPT, as indicated on your EAD.  Please be advised that once your SEVIS release date is reached you are no longer eligible to continue working.  If you decide to cancel your school transfer you MUST notify an International Student Advisor at IPS BEFORE your SEVIS release date.  Once your SEVIS record has been released to your new school, the IPS Office will no longer have access to your SEVIS record.  If you have any questions about the transfer out procedures you should meet with an International Student Advisor.