Welcome to International Student Advising (ISA)
The International Student Advising (ISA) is a unit under the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), formerly known as International Program and Services (IPS). ISA provides focused support for our increasing number of international students on all immigration advising to our F and J visa holders.
News & Updates
- New CPT Policy Announcements: Beginning fall 2018 our Curricular Practical Training (CPT) policy is changing significantly. Please read here for more information.
- STEM Alert: USCIS has recently revised their guidance regarding employment through third party agencies during STEM OPT. Please read more here.
- SEVP Portal - On March 23, 2018, the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) launched the SEVP Portal. SEVP will send eligible students an email invitation to open an account for the SEVP Portal. We ask you NOT to use the SEVP Portal to make any updates to your personal contact and/or employer information. International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) will notify you by email when it is appropriate for you to start using the SEVP Portal. Please continue to report your updates directly to the ISSS office using the online forms we regularly require. ISSS will make the necessary updates to your record in the SEVIS database upon receiving these forms. If you choose to use the SEVP Portal instead of the ISSS forms to report information, there is a risk that data discrepancies will occur, which will impact your ability to properly comply with your legal OPT reporting requirements and maintain F-1 status.
- Full Time Enrollment Requirement: Every semester you must enroll in a full course of study. If you are unsure what a full course of study is or if you would like to discuss taking less than a full course load, please speak with an ISA.
- Health Insurance Requirement: You will need to renew your health insurance coverage for Spring 2018 before you can register for classes. The required university health insurance plan can be purchased online. Insurance holds will be removed within 48 hours after purchasing coverage.
- ISSS Document Processing Time: The standard ISSS document processing time for all applications is 15 business days. Be sure to plan accordingly and submit a complete application with ALL the required documents, information, and signatures to avoid processing delays.
- F-1 Employment Workshops: Attendance at an employment workshop is mandatory before you can apply for OPT or CPT. Employment workshops are Thursdays from 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. and Fridays from 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. in Student Union West (ISSS). Be sure to arrive 5 minutes before the start time of the workshop. Late arrivals will be asked to attend a workshop on a different date.
- Change of Status to F-1 Workshop - The ISSS Change of Status to F-1 workshop is held on the first and third Tuesday of the month only.
- Graduate Students: check out the GAPE Candidacy and Graduation deadlines
- SJSU Library - Our SJSU library catalog has expanded! Now you can request books from all 23 CSU campuses. Use your Tower Card as your library card.