Welcome to International Student Advising (ISA)
The International Student Advising (ISA) is a unit under the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), formerly known as International Program and Services (IPS). ISA provides focused support for our increasing number of international students on all immigration advising to our F and J visa holders.
News & Updates
- Graduating Seniors - For those graduating in the Fall 2017 semester and who plan to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT), the I-765 has now changed format. All students must make sure to submit the new, updated form to USCIS.
- Travel Advisory - For detailed information on the recent Presidential Proclamation on Visas, please visit the U.S Department of State website. If you are currently abroad and planning to re-enter the U.S., read the information provided at the bottom of the page on the Department of State link above. If you are currently in the U.S. and plan to travel abroad, be sure to consult with an International Student Advisor before you travel.
- Full Time Enrollment Requirement: Every semester you must enroll in a full course of study. If you are unsure what a full course of study is or if you would like to discuss taking less than a full course load, please speak with an ISA.
- Health Insurance Requirement: You will need to renew your health insurance coverage for Fall 2017 before you can register for classes. The required university health insurance plan can be purchased online. Insurance holds will be removed within 48 hours after purchasing coverage.
- ISSS Document Processing Time: The standard ISSS document processing time for all applications is 15 business days. Be sure to plan accordingly and submit a complete application with ALL the required documents, information, and signatures to avoid processing delays.
- F-1 Employment Workshops: Attendance at an employment workshop is mandatory before you can apply for OPT or CPT. Employment workshops are Thursdays from 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. and Fridays from 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. in Student Union West (ISSS). Be sure to arrive 5 minutes before the start time of the workshop. Late arrivals will be asked to attend a workshop on a different date.
- Change of Status to F-1 Workshop - Beginning in September 2017, the ISSS Change of Status to F-1 workshop will be held on the first and last Tuesday of the month only.
- Graduate Students: check out the GAPE Candidacy and Graduation deadlines
- SJSU Library - Our SJSU library catalog has expanded! Now you can request books from all 23 CSU campuses. Use your Tower Card as your library card.