Inviting J-1 Scholars to SJSU
The purpose of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program, which is administered by the U.S. Department of State, is to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries by means of educational and cultural exchanges. The International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) Office is authorized by the U.S. government to manage the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program at San José State University. This authorization carries with it the responsibility for assessing whether the program is associated with and of benefit to this University, whether the applicant is qualified, and whether there is sufficient financial support to cover expenses during the duration of the program.
The ISSS Office assists academic departments that wish to sponsor visiting faculty or researchers with the process and documentation required to host a visiting scholar at SJSU through the J-1 Exchange Visitor program.
Host Department Responsibilities
In order to host an exchange visitor (EV) in the U.S. under the SJSU J-1 Exchange Program the host department must:
- Verify that the exchange visitor’s academic credentials are appropriate to the proposed research/teaching program objectives.
- Verify that the exchange visitor has sufficient English proficiency (both oral and written) and provide documentation on how this determination was done (Interview, TOEFL scores).
- Arrange for office space deemed appropriate for the proposed activity.
- Inform ISSS of any changes to the exchange visitor’s activity while at SJSU including termination of agreements.
- Mail the original DS-2019 Form(s) to the exchange visitor. The form cannot be scanned and sent by email.
- Assist the exchange visitor in finding housing accommodation.
- Ensure the exchange visitor reports to the ISSS Office within 5 days of arrival to the U.S. in order to complete the ISSS immigration document check-in process, as required by the U.S. Department of State regulations.
- Assist ISSS in monitoring exchange visitor’s maintenance of adequate health insurance coverage for the duration of the program.
- Arrange any University access request (i.e. Tower Card, library card, parking, etc.).
- The SJSU host department must collect all required information and documents from the exchange visitor to complete the J-1 Exchange Visitor Department Request Form.
- Additional documentation must be submitted with the J-1 Exchange Visitor Department Request Form as follows:
- Photocopy of the passport biographical page of the exchange visitor and any accompanying dependent(s).
- Funding documents covering at least $2,000/ month for the exchange visitor, $1,000/month for the accompanying spouse, and $500/month for each accompanying child.
- Exchange visitor’s resume or curriculum vitae
- Photocopy of the invitation/appointment/ offer letter issued by the SJSU sponsoring department. The program start and end dates on this form must be the same as the dates shown on the letter.
- Complete J-1 Exchange Visitor Certification of English Language Proficiency form and supporting documentation as applicable
- Department Request Form (for Form DS-2019/ J-1 Visa Certificate of Eligibility)
- Certification of English Language Proficienc
- Exchange Visitor Program Extension
- Exchange Visitor Pre-Arrival Information Sheet
For questions regarding the process, please contact Katerina Salas-Natchova, Assistant Director of International Student Advising (Katerina.firstname.lastname@example.org) or Khim Lok (email@example.com), Office Coordinator.