Tax Information

NEW! Sprintax Webinar on Tax FilingA message from Sprintax:

 "We hope that this [webinar] might relieve some pressures, confusion and questions that may in the past have been supported by on-site efforts. Additionally, it will help many who are returning to their home countries."


Tax filing deadline is Wednesday, April 15. Please view Sprintax's FAQ regarding tax filing.*


*First 500 Students Receive FREE Tax Filing Assistance from Sprintax!!--SJSU and Sprintax are partnering up once again this tax season to provide FREE tax filing assistance for the first 500 SJSU students that sign up! First come, first served! Please click on the following link; set up an account; and then enter SpTx2019SJSU501F in the "Review my Order" section.

All F-1 students are required to file taxes each year, regardless of whether or not you were employed during that time. This does not necessarily mean you will owe money. The due date for submission of tax forms is normally on the 15th of April.

If you did not work or receive taxable payments during the reporting year, you are required to complete and file Federal Form 8843.

If you worked or received taxable payments during the reporting year, you are required to complete and file:

  • Federal Form 8843
  • Form 1040-NR or 1040-NR-EZ
  • Form 540-NR or 540-NR-EZ for California taxes

These forms can be downloaded from the following sources:

The ISSS Office cannot provide advice on income tax filing. International students may prepare and submit tax forms on their own. However, if you are unsure how to file tax forms, we suggest that you seek professional advice from a tax specialist or hire an online non-resident tax preparation company, such as Sprintax, Glacier, or NR Tax Return




The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) are programs which offer free help for taxpayers who qualify. You can learn more about these services on the IRS website. If you plan to seek volunteer tax assistance, you must call in advance to confirm whether or not you qualify for their services, and if the volunteers can assist you with questions regarding non-resident taxes.

For additional information, see What International Students & Scholars Should Know About U.S. Tax Laws & Tax Filing