About the MIS Department
The Management Information Systems (MIS) Department, one of four departments in the College of Business, is home to around 550 students and 21 faculty focused on a single program–the MIS Concentration. MIS is one of the 9 concentrations, like Accounting, Marketing or Finance, that add an area of specialization to the undergraduate business degree, the BSBA (Bachelor of Science in Business Administration) that all business majors earn.
The MIS concentration at SJSU is differentiated in a number of ways:
- Our practicum courses are staffed by instructors with real-world professional experience as project managers
- There is an emphasis on community service in our project portfolio and we have been recognized for this formally
- Our honors program is a 2-semester sequence enabling teams to tackle full-scale projects
- We infuse our curriculum with hands-on use of state-of-the-art tools from IBM, Oracle, etc.
- Our tenured and tenure-track faculty are active researchers (100% 'academically qualified' with respect to the foremost business school accreditation board, AACSB)
- Both faculty and students are well-connected to our local Silicon Valley business community
- We leverage technology to support learning in and out of the classroom
- We nurture a thriving student club and a vibrant alumni network
- We hold an annual graduation convocation just for MIS students to provide individual recognition
See our Awards/Highlights page for more.