MIS Spring 2012 Convocation
To provide graduating MIS students with more individual recognition than is possible
at the SJSU Commencement or the CoB ceremony, the MIS Department hosts its own graduation
convocation each spring. The university-wide ceremony ("Commencement"), 2+ hours in
length, is held in the Spartan Stadium and, though impressive, its scale prohibits
any individualized recognition other than names listed in the program. Students stand
in place together briefly on the field when the dean announces their concentration
by name. The college-wide ceremony, also around 2 hours in length, does provide students
the chance to walk briefly across the stage while their name is read, and they shake
hands with the dean and other faculty. There are typically a several hundred students
involved from all business concentrations.
The MIS ceremony is much smaller and more intimate, typically involving around 40-60 graduates and lasts about an hour. Each student is announced individually as they walk across the stage, congratulated by the dean, the department chair and the faculty and then has a chance to speak briefly at the microphone to say a few words to family and friends in the audience. The keynote address is given by a former MIS student who is being recognized by the department for Distinguished Career Achievement and the department presents awards to top MIS students for academic excellence and exemplary spirit. The department also recognizes the MIS honors students and the MIS student association officers as well. Typically, the ceremony is held on campus in the afternoon, following the University Commencement in the morning, so that students and their families may participate in both if desired. An elegant reception with light refreshments follows the ceremony. The MIS ceremony includes flowers, decorations, music, gifts for the graduates and is a memorable experience that the MIS Department is proud to provide for its graduates.
MIS Annual Graduation Ceremony 2012:
- Date: Saturday, May 26th 2012 (following the University Commencement)
- 2:30pm - Ceremony- Music Concert Hall
- 3:30pm - Reception (Light Refreshments) - 7th Street Plaza
- Event Tickets: Click here to obtain the event tickets.
- Distinguished MIS Alumni Speaker: TBA
What makes our department convocation the one to attend?
- It is a more intimate setting in which each graduate's name is called as they cross the stage & share a few words with their guests.
- There will be a reception, prior to the ceremony, in which your invited guests can enjoy some light refreshments.
- A photographer will be present to capture these special moments. Photos will be posted for graduates to download free of charge.
- Most of the MIS Faculty will be in attendance to help congratulate you and share in your great achievement.
Do you qualify to participate?
- You graduated in fall 2011 or have applied to graduate in spring, summer or fall 2012 AND
- You have 6 or less units left to complete your degree after spring semester
- Do graduates get to speak? Graduates have an option to address guests @ podium (30 second limit)
- Who is eligible to participate? MIS seniors who officially graduated in the previous summer or fall OR will graduate in the spring, summer or fall semesters AND have no more than six (6) units remaining for graduation.
- Why do students have to buy tickets? Ticket sales cover most costs including the catering, flowers, service staff and decorations. We try to make the event as impressive as we can, but we are frugal. The remainder of the budget is contributed by the MIS student association (MISA) and what the department can save from other parts of the annual operating budget.
- Where/how do I get tickets? Please visit https://commerce.cashnet.com/SJSUMIS by May 18th to purchase your tickets.
- Do children need tickets? Children 6 and over must have a ticket.
- What am I supposed to wear to the ceremony? The ceremony is casual, but please dress appropriately. Graduates should wear graduation regalia (cap & gown). For your regalia, please contact Spartan Bookstore.