Giving to Justice Studies
Donate to Justice Studies
For the Students
Justice Studies students are among the University’s finest. They arrive on campus enthusiastic and ready to immerse themselves in our rigorous curriculum and become engaged in our community. Our faculty and staff are dedicated to providing our students with the knowledge, skills, and opportunities that will prepare them for the shifting landscape of criminal and social justice. Maintaining the strength of this remarkable community and ensuring its continuing impact in our communities requires the support of alumni and friends.
Student Success Endowment - 50% there!
The Department of Justice Studies is building an endowment for student success. This endowment will generate revenue annually to support activities proven to help the department's students learn, mature, make connections, and graduate onto a path of leadership. Dr. James Lee, Chair, Department of Justice Studies, saw a need in the department for funds that would directly benefit students by supporting activities outside the classroom. If money is not available elsewhere, the fund may step in to ensure students get the best experiences possible to prepare for lives of service in criminal and social justice.
The Student Success Endowment may help students, even in bad economic times:
- Attend professional conferences
- Pay for supplies to build demonstrations of justice practices, issues, or even crime scenes
- Travel for the new international experience requirement
- Work with current technology
- Facilitate field trips
- Launch other important endeavors as needed
The student success endowment fundraising has exceeded 50% of its $50,000 goal. The challenge now is to keep the momentum and raise another $23,000 to codify the endowment to start distributing funds.
The department has a robust set of scholarships for deserving students. Anyone may donate to existing scholarships; former recipients are encouraged to "pay it forward" to current students! To donate to an existing scholarship, simply provide the name of the scholarship and mention the Department of Justice Studies. Currently, generous donors support 7 named scholarships in the department in memory of loved ones:
- Shelby B. Brewer
- Krisopher Boaz Claspill
- Jeffrey Fontana
- Paula Stone Hubbell
- Theresa Edel
- Willard "Huck" Schmidt
- Daniel P. Lomio
An unrestricted gift can support the Department of Justice Studies in its pursuit of excellence as it continues to grow for the benefit of its students. Priorities include:
- Recruiting and retaining the best educators;
- Developing innovative and online degree programs;
- Creating national and international partnerships;
- Expanding our presence through our Ann Lucas Lecture Series, conferences, the Record Clearance Project, and symposiums;
- Funding and expanding research on important issues like policing, social justice, criminal desistance, human rights, immigration, sexual offenders, forensic science, capital punishment, and juvenile justice
- Equipping the Forensic Science Teaching and Research Lab
Please consider making a gift of unrestricted support to the Department of Justice Studies.
To donate, you may use a method that works best for you:
- Donate via credit card.
- Donate via personal check: To donate via personal check, please make check payable to “Justice Studies Department” (note any fund or event for which it is intended in the memo). Checks may be sent to:
|Department of Justice Studies|
|San José State University|
|One Washington Square, MQH 524|
|San José, CA 95192-0050|
- Donate through the University's "Give to SJSU" link on the upper right side of this website. Please "designate" your donation to the "Justice Studies Department." Otherwise, the donation will not go to our division, even if you are alumni of ours.
If you have any questions about making a donation to the Department of Justice Studies, feel free to contact the department at 408-924-2951.