INTRODUCTION TO THE JUSTICE STUDIES INTERNSHIP
(EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING CORE COMPETENCY [F]):
The internship is an integral part of the Justice Studies undergraduate program. All JS majors are required to complete a THREE (3) unit internship course. The internship experience is designed to provide a broad exposure to the operations of a variety of justice-related agencies and organizations, including courts, law enforcement agencies, law offices, nonprofit organizations and community based programs. The internship student gains knowledge of the structure, goals, and work procedures of the agency/office by participating in activities in the internship setting, and applies that knowledge to the completion of a paper on the internship experience that bridges coursework, theory and practice. Students are required to spend a minimum of 120 hours in the internship setting. For the specific requirements, view the JS 181 syllabus (PDF). The internship is limited to Justice Studies Department majors and minors. The internship fulfills the Core Competencies area ‘F’ of the JS major requirements. Students may also fulfill this major requirement through the combination of JS 140 and JS 141.
Observation and experience in or related to the community or professional agencies related to justice studies.
Practical experience in the use of skills and techniques necessary for a successful career.
To provide critical supervision, guidance, and feedback for the students as they gain experience in the agency.
Professional and intellectual development in the Justice Studies field by successfully integrating theory and practice in a real world, justice-related setting.
Prospective interns should go to the Prospective Interns Page. This page explains what one needs to do to successfully acquire and register for an internship.
Current interns should go to the Current Interns Page for problem-solving information and the calendar of internship meetings.
INTERNSHIP ADVISORS – FALL 2014
- Dr. William Armaline Meeting Dates: Oct 21st 12:00pm, Nov 19th 3:00pm Location: MH526
- Dr. Yoko Baba Meeting Dates: Oct 27th 12:00pm, Dec 1st 12:00pm Location: MH526
- Dr. Alessandro De Giorgi Meeting Dates: Oct 29th 10:30am, Nov 24th 2:00pm Location: MH508A
- Dr. Danielle Harris Meeting Dates: Nov 10th, 12:00pm, Dec 8th 12:00pm Location: MH525A
- Dr. Chris Hebert Meeting Dates: TBA
- Dr. Sang Kil Meeting Dates: Oct 14th & Nov 18th at 1:30 in Google Hangout. Email Dr. Kil one week ahead of meeting you wish to attend.
- Dr. Edith Kinney Meeting Dates: Oct 21st 12:30, Dec 2nd 12:30 Location: MH525B