The Justice Studies Department is proud to announce the 2014 Scholarship Competition honoring distinguished alumni and friends of Justice Studies:
- Kristofer Boaz Claspill Memorial Scholarship [pdf]
- Theresa Edel Memorial Scholarship [pdf]
- Jeffrey Fontana Memorial Scholarship [pdf]
- Paula Stone Hubbell Memorial Scholarship [pdf]
- Daniel P. Lomio Memorial Scholarship [pdf]
- Willard "Huck" Schmidt Memorial Scholarship [pdf]
- Gene Simpson & Gordon Silva Scholarship for Intercollegiate Athletes [pdf]
- California Association of Criminalists (CAC) McLaughlin Endowment [pdf]--Deadline, April 1, 5PM--
Over $25,000 in scholarships will be awarded this year. Individual scholarships of up to $5000 are available to undergraduate and graduate students majoring in Justice Studies. Eligibility and application requirements vary for each scholarship. Students may apply for up to three scholarships for which they are eligible. It is the responsibility of the applicant to have all application materials submitted by the deadline, April 4, 2014 (April 1 for CAC Scholarship). Preference will be given to applicants who have not received a scholarship from the JS department in prior years.
The 2014 Scholarship application packet must include:
- Justice Studies Scholarship Application Checklist [pdf, users are advised to download and open using a pdf program, not the web browser].
- Unofficial copy of transcripts.
- Separate statement of 300 - 500 words for each scholarship.
- Describe the experiences that motivated you to pursue a justice-related career.
- Explain or describe how the specific scholarship(s) will contribute to your academic success and professional goals.
- Indentify and describe any volunteer work, internship, or other work experience in the criminal or juvenile justice field, or forensic science. If applying for the Paula Stone Hubbell Scholarship, you must include experience in the juvenile justice field.
- One of your original, recent, graded, individual research papers or projects.
- JS Faculty references (see criteria for specific scholarship).
- For the Paula Stone Hubbell Scholarship, submit both JS Faculty reference and one letter from a professional in the justice field.
- For either CAC Reed McLaughlin Endowment Scholarships, submit two (2) references.
The application checklist and all application materials must be submitted before April 4, 2014, 5:00 PM (April 1 for CAC Scholarship). The committee will not consider incomplete applications. Send applications to:Justice Studies Department Attn: Janet Hagemann, Scholarship Committee MacQuarrie Hall, Room 524 One Washington Square San José State University San José, CA 95192
Scholarship winners are required to write letters of appreciation to donors and attend any recognition events.