Back to School (c) B Chew

Departmental Advising

The Department of Kinesiology takes pride in providing sound, accurate, and timely advising to all graduate, minor, and undergraduate students. 

Advising Contacts

 Dr. Theodore Butryn
Ted Butryn, Ph.D.
Sport Sociology & Sport Psychology 
Interim Director ISSSC
Graduate Program Coordinator 
Spartan Complex 173B
 Jessica Chin
Associate Professor
Research and Core Specialist 
Associate Chair
Undergraduate Advising Manager
Spartan Complex 173F
 Matthew Masucci
Department Chair
Sport Philosophy & Cultural Studies
Spartan Complex 104
 Dr. T.S.
Sport & Exercise Psychology
Undergraduate Program Coordinator
Spartan Complex 116
D. Murphy Bio Pic 
Advising Specialist (Summer)
Sport Sociology & Sport Psychology
Spartan Complex 110


University Advising Links

Graduate Students

If you are a prospective graduate student, following acceptance into the program, connect with our Graduate Program Coordinator Dr. Ted Butryn. He will provide guidance as you begin your studies.

Minor Students

If you are prospective or current minor student who has selected Kinesiology as a minor, please contact Undergraduate Advising Manager, Dr. Jessica Chin, for advising.

Undergraduate Students

Prospective Freshman and Transfer Students: Attend an SJSU orientation session or for transfer students (Transfer Information Program [TIP] session) with our advising manager Dr. Jessica Chin. Once you meet with her for general advising, she will assign you an academic advisor who will work closely with you through to the time you graduate. 

During Fall & Spring: If you are a current undergraduate student, meet each semester with your academic advisor to discuss coursework, progress, career planning, and to resolve any problems that arise along the way. Remember to file for graduation one year in advance of the semester you plan to graduate! For those interested in Physical Therapy, additional information is provided here.

During Summer: (June 1 through Aug 20) Students should contact Mr. Daniel Murphy, Advising Specialist, with questions about undergraduate or minor advising. After Aug 20, student should contact their respective advisors.

Kinesiology Student Email Listserve

If you are not receiving email from the department email listserve, please contact Winston Kwong in the Kinesiology main office, SPX 102, at, and ask to have your email added to the list. This is a critical resource for you and the department.

Lower-Division Undergraduate Advising

Lower-division advising for KIN students is done in the CHaHS Student Success Center. Call or stop by for appointments

Location: MacQuarrie Hall (MH) 533 - top floor of MacQuarrie Hall

Hours of Operation:

Monday - Thursday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Phone: 408.924.2910

Back to Top