Wondering if Kinesiology is the right major for you? Check out the SJSU 'major finder':
For general information on impaction in the California State University system, go to: Impacted Undergraduate Majors and Campuses 2018-2019 (then scroll down to San José State University).
Since we are an impacted major, we can only admit a certain number of students into the major. The application process is outlined on this webpage. Please direct all inquiries to the Undergraduate Advising Manager, Mr. Daniel Murphy. Prospective graduate students should click here.
On this webpage, you will find a wealth of department information and links to useful resources on
other sites within the university. In addition, please download and consult the Department of Kinesiology Undergraduate Handbook, which contains information related to the department and program. It should be your
first stop when seeking an answer to any program question you may have.
Current SJSU Students: Undeclared or Change of Major
If you are Undeclared and wish to declare Kinesiology as your major, or if you are declared in another major and wish to Change Majors to Kinesiology, please review the requirements listed here: Undeclared and Change of Major Information.
The Department of Kinesiology only accepts Change of Major Applications twice per academic year:
- On or before June 10th for Fall Semester
- On or before January 10th for Spring Semester
Change of Major: Application Process
If you are qualified and would like to apply, you will need to submit the following items to the main Kinesiology Office, SPX 102 (Attn: Department Chair):
- A completed Department of Kinesiology Change of Major Application:
- Appropriate (over or under 90 units) SJSU Change of Major form (no need for signatures at this point)
- Please be sure to indicate the correct major on your Change of Major form:
- BS: Kinesiology
- BS: Kinesiology - Preparation for Teaching
- A copy of your most recent (unofficial) transcript with your four qualifying classes
highlighted (this can be obtained via MySJSU). NOTE: This should include your current semester grades so you should not submit the
application until after your current grades have been posted.
Freshmen or Transfers: Apply to SJSU & Department of Kinesiology
1. You simply go through Cal State Apply (calstate.edu/apply), and follow the step-by-step instructions. Please be sure to completely fill out your application, as incomplete applications will not be considered.
2. When filling out the application, be sure to indicate Kinesiology as the department, as well as your intended concentration (see descriptions above). In addition, be sure to indicate your relevant scores.