Internships in Kinesiology
Undergraduate and Graduate kinesiology students have the opportunity to gain extraordinary real-world experience while earning course credit by completing an internship/fieldwork. Internships enable students to develop an understanding and working knowledge of actual operations, events, planning, and management within the field of Kinesiology. The internship experience is an essential component in a student's course of study designed to facilitate the integration of theoretical, applied and academic subject matter in our field.
Information for Students
Finding an internship/fieldwork. The following are resources to help you locate an internship to apply for.
- Kinesiology student email list. Make sure you are on the email distribution list for the department. The internship manager and department chair regularly send information out to students regarding internship (and job) opportunities. If you are not on the list, contact Winston Kwong (KIN staff) at email@example.com and ask to be added to the student email list.
- Faculty. Recommendations and/or contacts may be available through your designated Academic Advisor.
- Career Center Website. Good resources when looking and preparing for an internship are on the SJSU Career Center's website:
Once you have secured an internship/fieldwork, in collaboration with your internship site supervisor complete the relevant forms (see below) and turn them in to Dr. Shifflett (Kinesiology Internship Manager) through the Kinesiology main office. Upon approval, Dr. Shifflett will contact you with add code information.
Internship & Fieldwork Documents
- Sample Syllabus for Internships/Fieldwork
- Undergraduate Internship/Fieldwork Registration Forms
- Graduate Internship/Fieldwork Registration Forms
- A total of 50 hours for each unit is required.
- Internship hours must be completed by the last day of classes in the semester you are enrolled.
- Once you are registered, all course information will be on Canvas.
- Questions? Contact the KIN internship manager (Dr. Shifflett) at firstname.lastname@example.org
To allow enough time to process all KIN forms, the deadlines for getting all paperwork in to the KIN main office each term are set in advance of the last day to enroll.
Winter 2017 Session: Monday, December 12th (2016), 4pm
Spring 2017 Semester: Friday, February 3rd, 4pm
Summer 2017 Session: Monday, May 15th, 4pm
Fall 2017 Semester: Friday, September 1st, 4pm
An online orientation session for students is provided twice a year. Typically in January and August. The online session is open to all students and is particularly helpful to those about to begin an internship/fieldwork. The specific date and time will be provided through the student email distribution list.
Information for Community Organizations and Site Supervisors
If you would like to set up an internship with our program, register with SJSU as an official internship/fieldwork site, using this link:
Then, contact Dr. Shifflett (email@example.com) and provide information she can forward to the students about the internship/fieldwork opportunity. Minimally, students would need an explanation about the opportunity available, how to apply, and what qualifications students should have.
If your site would like to have a contract (not required) in place with SJSU, but does not presently have one, you can use the URL above to register and then subsequently you will be able to complete the University Organization Agreement (contract) online. The two-step process would entail (a) register online, then (b) once the university contacts you with account information, log in and fill out a university-organization agreement (UOA). The UOA is optional. Registration is required.
If you established a University-Organization agreement (UOA) in the past you have been automatically registered. With each new intern you work with you do not need to re-register.
The list of approved contracts is available here:
Note for site supervisors: Near the end of the semester an evaluation of the student's performance will be needed. Dr. Shifflett will provide site supervisors with the link via email.
Thank you to all of our affiliated sites for your interest and participation in our Kinesiology Internship program. Your support and guidance complements our students' academic experiences and helps prepare them to transition from school to their careers. Your time is greatly appreciated by all. Please contact the Kinesiology internship manager (Dr. Shifflett) if you have any questions. firstname.lastname@example.org