Kinesiology Learning Outcomes
Department Statement of Core Values
The faculty and staff of the Department of Kinesiology adopt the following Core Values in support of our overall mission:
- Physically active and healthy lifestyles
- Efficacy of human movement
- Quality programs, curriculum, teaching, research, and service
- Regard for high academic standards
- Mutual support, shared responsibility and collegiality in the workplace
- Collaboration between and respect for our subdisciplines
- Democratic governance
- Equity, fairness, and social justice
- Sensitivity to diversity
- Life/work balance
Activity Program Learning Outcomes (APLO)
After completion of the class, the students shall be able to:
- Demonstrate the acquisition and application of motor skills appropriate to the specific activity
- Demonstrate an understanding of the applicable history, rules, strategies, current research, safety, and etiquette appropriate to the specific activity
- Demonstrate an understanding of the benefits of a specific activity as it relates to physical and mental health
- Demonstrate a positive change in personal fitness as it relates to component such as cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength and endurance, flexibility and body composition (classes in the fitness category are encouraged to include this APLO, and other classes should include it where applicable to the specific activity)
Undergraduate Degree Program Student Learning Outcomes
Students will be able to:
- obtain a critical understanding and the ability to apply theoretical and scientific knowledge from the subdisciplines in kinesiology for personal fitness, healthy lifestyles, sport, and/or therapeutic rehabilitation.
- effectively communicate the essential theories, scientific applications, and ethical considerations related to kinesiology.
- apply scholarship and practice of different movement forms to enhance movement competence in kinesiology.
- recognize and apply sustainable approaches as they relate to kinesiology.
- identify social justice and equity issues related to kinesiology for various populations.
Graduate Degree Program Student Learning Outcomes
Students will be able to:
- synthesize information in Kinesiology and communicate it clearly and concisely in a written manner utilizing appropriate APA style.
- synthesize information in Kinesiology and communicate it clearly and concisely in an oral manner.
- demonstrate the acquisition of knowledge and strength in an area of study within Kinesiology through the graduate culminating experience.