Kinesiology Graduate Program
Welcome to the homepage of the Department of Kinesiology Graduate Program! We offer an M.A. degree which consists of approximately 30-42 units, depending on the specific concentration. Our rapidly growing program currently has well over 100 students with varied interests, backgrounds, and goals. Our alumni have successfully obtained jobs across the Bay Area, the state of California, the US, and abroad. In addition, the program has placed several students in top-tier doctoral programs across the US. Students are selected to the program based on undergraduate academic achievement and overall potential for success in the program, and in one of the following Graduate Concentrations:
Graduate Program Resources
Fall 2014 Graduate Admissions:
The Fall 2014 application process will begin in November 2013 and run until the deadline of April 1, 2014. Note: Deadline for Graduate Athletic Training Education Program will be earlier than April 1. Please consult Athletic Training page for details. Because we can only admit a certain number of students into each concentration, we strongly recommend that application materials be sent in earlier than the deadline. The application process is outlined on this webpage, and on the linked Grad Studies page as well. Please direct all inquiries to the graduate coordinator, Dr. Matt Masucci, at Matthew.firstname.lastname@example.org. During Fall 2013 semester contact Interim Graduate Coordinator, Dr. Ted Butryn, at email@example.com
On this webpage, you will find a wealth of information, and links to useful information on other sites within the university. In addition, please download and consult the Graduate Handbook, which contains a wealth of information related to the department and program. It should be your first stop when seeking an answer to any program question you may have.
To apply to the university, and the Department of Kinesiology:
1. You simply go through the CSU Mentor page, and follow the step-by-step instructions. Please be sure to completely fill out your application, as incomplete applications will not be considered. Please send official transcripts from ALL higher education institutions attended (even if you did not get your degree) to the Graduate Admissions & Program Evaluations Office by mail or in person. Please do not send them to the Office of Graduate Studies & Research. All transcripts must be sealed and unopened in order to be accepted as official documents. COPIES OF TRANSCRIPTS OR OPENED TRANSCRIPTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
2. When filling out the application, be sure to indicate Kinesiology as the department, as well as your intended concentration (see descriptions above). In addition, be sure to indicate your GRE scores. If not taken at time of application, applicant must send scores to the Kinesiology graduate coordinator (Dr. Matt Masucci) by the application deadlines (April 1, 2014).
Please send in transcripts to the following address:
Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations
San José State University
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0017
3. Send the following directly to the Kinesiology graduate coordinator: 1) Letter of intent to attend SJSU if accepted, 2) Two letters of recommendation, and 3) Application for Graduate Assistantship & Area of Expertise Teaching Forms (optional). These forms are located under the "Forms" link on the main Kinesiology page.
Please send the aforementioned materials directly to the KIN graduate coordinator at:
Dr. Matthew Masucci
San José State University
Department of Kinesiology (0054)
San Jose, CA 95192-0054
4. Once all materials are in, your application will be evaluated by Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations. In approximately 3-4 weeks, they will be forwarded to the KIN grad coordinator for evaluation, after which you will be notified of your status.
The following are our current admission standards:
The department of Kinesiology requires the following of all applicants seeking admission to classified standing in the MA -Kinesiology in addition to meeting requirements for admission to the Graduate Division:
- A baccalaureate degree with a major or minor in Kinesiology or successful completion of a maximum of 12 units of foundation coursework as assigned by the Graduate Coordinator or an assigned Academic Advisor.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 in the last 60 semester units (or 90 quarter units) of work.
- A fully completed CSU Mentor Application, including the Statement of Purpose on the application.
- A GRE General Test score of 150 verbal and 141 quantitative.
- Two letters of recommendation (sent direclty to the graduate advisor)
The graduate coordinator, in consultation with faculty, may approve conditional admission of a student who: meets the requirements for admission to the Graduate Division who has neither a major nor minor in Kinesiology; has a grade point average below 3.0 in the last 60 semester units (or 90 quarter units); or scores below 150 verbal and 141 quantitative on the GRE General Test.
Thank you for your interest in the SJSU Department of Kinesiology Graduate Program, and best wishes in your journey towards your graduate degree. If there is anything you need, please do not hesitate to contact the current graduate coordinator, Dr. Matt Masucci, at: Matthew.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Upon finalizing your decision to study at San Jose State University in the Department of Kinesiology, make an appointment to speak to the Graduate Program Coordinator for an orientation to the department.
- Stay in Touch with your Academic Advisor
Students should select a faculty member to serve as their academic advisor. While it is recommended that the academic advisor be the person who will eventually be the thesis-KIN 299 or Plan B-KIN 298 advisor, it is not required. The academic advisor is the faculty member you consult throughout your studies regarding selection of your coursework and progression towards the Master of Arts degree.
- Obtain (via link at top of page) and use the Graduate Program Handbook as a resource. Refer to it frequently.
- Check for messages at MySJSU regularly. Notices from the university are posted there pertaining to your enrollment and progress to your degree.
- Check the KIN bulletin boards in Spartan Complex weekly for announcements and/or academic deadlines.
- Regularly check the websites of the office of Graduate Studies and Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluation for deadlines, including when to file your candidacy form and application for graduation!