Frequently Asked Questions

When should I see a BSAC Advisor?

See a BSAC Advisor for any of the following:

  • Receive assistance in setting up an academic plan.
  • Clear the lower division business pool requirement which will release the block placed on pre-registration in upper division business courses.
  • Obtain graduation requirements for each of the nine concentrations.
  • Learn which courses satisfy GE requirements.
  • Get help being reinstated into the College of Business after academic disqualification.
  • Determine the equivalencies for business courses taken at other colleges.
  • Clarify the College of Business and/or the university's policies.
  • Answer any questions when turning in your graduation application.
  • In addition, a BSAC Advisor can refer you to the right place if you have a question or problem and don't know where to turn.
What if I already have a Bachelor's Degree? How do I obtain a second baccalaureate degree in business?
  • To be eligible for the second baccalaureate degree, students must complete all coursework which constitutes the second degree in at least two additional semesters with a *minimum* of 30 units of work beyond the first degree. Students must also meet the *minimum* residence requirement (30 units in residence, 24 of which must be upper division and 12 of which must be in the major). For example, a student with their first degree in Management from SJSU, who wishes to come back and pursue a second degree in Accounting would be held to the 27 unit Accounting concentration and a minimum of 3 G.E./elective units in order to fulfill the 30 unit residence requirement.
  • The minimum required would be the completion of all of the concentration and SJSU Studies requirements in addition to upper division business core courses not taken in the first degree.
What is the criterion for a double concentration (major) in business?
  • For students wishing to pursue a double concentration (major) in business, university policy requires 24 units completely separate and distinct from the other concentration.
  • For example, a student concentrating in Marketing who decided to add Finance as a second concentration must complete 24 units in each of the concentration. This will require additional electives in both concentrations beyond those that are required in each of the concentration. Since both concentrations requires 18 units, this student will have to complete 2 additional electives in each of the concentrations to meet the 24 units completely separate and distinct required by CSU policy.
What are the requirements to minor in business?

Non-business majors who wish to minor in Business must fulfill the following requirements (effective as of fall 2005):

  • BUS 20N (Survey of Accounting)
  • BUS 160 (Fund. of Management and Organizational Behavior)
  • Three (3) additional business courses, one of which must be upper-division (100+ level).
  • In order to earn a business minor, a GPA in all courses combined must be 2.00 (C).
  • 12 Units in the minor must be separate and distinct from the requirements for the major.

For the following majors, please see a BSAC Advisor:

  • Advertising
  • Aviation
  • Industrial Technology
  • Public Relations
Does BSAC keep student records on file?

BSAC does not have the facilities to store student files. Therefore, BSAC requests that each student maintain his/her own records. The records should include original transcripts/report cards and the G. E. transfer evaluation worksheet (if available).

When students meet with the advisor, they should have with them all transcripts or report cards (from all colleges attended) and the blue business pool form completed. If the student does not have transcripts or grade reports, the advisor will lift the hold on the student's word that the pool requirements have been met.

BSAC does store copies of major forms from graduation applications, but it is preferable if the student brings in their own copies of these forms when filing for a class substitution.

Where can I check on course prerequisites?

Course prerequisites are listed in the San Jose State University Catalog, in both print version (available at the bookstore) or online at

With the onset of the automated course prerequisite check it is the students' responsibility to ensure that they have met the prerequisites prior to registration. In addition, if you have taken courses in another institution make sure to submit official transcripts to Records as soon as possible to update your file.

Should I enroll in Bus 10?

Although Bus 10 is not a requirement for the major, it is highly recommended for freshman. This course will introduce students to the many facets of business and give them direction towards their career specialization within business

This is a course that will contribute to the necessary 120 units required for graduation. Skipping this course could affect a student's class level which determines their day and time of registration. Transfer students are not required to take this course.

What is the requirement to change or declare Business as a major? How do I change major?

A student must be in good academic standings (minimum 2.00 GPA at SJSU) to be eligible to change or declare business as their major. See a BSAC advisor for the requirements in the major as well as the required concentration and the authorizing signature for acceptance into the major.

How do I establish graduating senior status? When should I apply for graduation?

Graduating senior standing is granted after a student files for graduation and the application has been processed. To file for graduation, students must have completed a minimum of 90 units and it must be reasonable that they will complete all requirements by their proposed date of graduation.

Business students file for graduation a semester prior to the term they plan to graduate. Graduation application packets are available only in BSAC and are submitted to BSAC after completion with all required documentation/s, i.e. transcripts, minor form (if applicable), equivalencies etc.

How many units are required for each registration class level? Does that include work-in-progress?

During the regular semesters (Fall and Spring) registration depends on class level: 1-29.5 units - Freshmen, 30-59.5 units – Sophomores, 60-89.5 units – Juniors, 90+ units– Seniors. This includes courses in-progress for the current semester at SJSU.

Units Standing
1 - 29.5 Freshmen
30 - 59.5 Sophomore
60 - 89.5 Junior
90+ Senior

What is academic renewal and how many attempts do I get?

Under the Academic Renewal policy, undergraduate students who receive grades of "C-" or below are eligible to repeat courses taken at SJSU through Academic Renewal. Following completion of the course the second time, the first grade will no longer be included in the student's GPA and the second attempt will be the grade of record. The first grade will still show on the transcript, but will not be calculated.

Students repeating courses, with or without Academic Renewal, cannot pre-register for the course that's being repeated. The student must add the course during the "schedule adjustment period" by getting a permission code from the instructor. Then, they must have their new instructor sign the Academic Renewal petition and turn it into the Student Services Center by the add deadline. Academic Renewal forms are available in BSAC or at the Student Services Center.

Students admitted to SJSU with 55 or fewer units are allowed up to 18 units of Academic Renewal. Upper division transfer students are allocated a maximum of 9 units.

What is the WST?

The WST is the "Writing Skills Test," a university requirement. A passing score on the WST is required before a student can register for any SJSU Studies course, including Business 100W and Philosophy 186. Additionally, a passing score on the WST is a prerequisite to upper-division Accounting classes. Students should take the WST as soon as they reach junior status. Junior-level transfer students are encouraged to take the WST before matriculating. English 1B is a prerequisite to taking the WST.

Students who fail the WST may take it again. If a student fails the WST a second time, he or she will be required to take a developmental writing course, LLD 098 or 099, Applied Grammar, or Grammar for Writers, depending on test scores.