Management Information Systems Concentration
|Management Information Systems||BT 250||(408) 924-7790|
Management Information Systems (MIS) combines business and technology to get organizations the information they need to succeed in the digital age. MIS students take the same basic business courses (Intro to Marketing, Accounting, etc.) as other business students and earn the same business degree (BSBA). But MIS students also learn database, networking, web applications, etc., so they know how to help businesses leverage technology for competitive advantage. The business/technology combination reflects Silicon Valley like no other and MIS students get placed as project managers, systems analysts, online program specialists, consultants, etc. at all the big name tech firms as well as in non-tech industries including transportation, food production and others.
(See http://www.sjsu.edu/isystems for more on MIS at SJSU.)
|General Education:||48-51 units|
|Business Pool:||12 units (6 of these units fulfill Core GE requirements)|
|Non-business Support:||14 units (3 units fulfill Core GE requirement, 6 fulfill Advanced GE)|
|Lower Division Business Core:||7-10 units|
|Upper Division Business Core:||24 units (3 units fulfill Advanced GE)|
|MIS Concentration:||27 units|
|Electives or Minor:||Units needed to reach 120 and fulfill all requirements|
A 2.0 (C average) is required in the major in order to earn the BS degree. The cumulative GPA for all business courses must be 2.0 or better in order to graduate.
MIS Concentration (27 units)
Required Courses (21 units):
- BUS4 092 Introduction to Business Programming
- BUS4 110A Fundamentals of Management Information Systems
- BUS4 110B Introduction to Systems Analysis and Design
- BUS4 111 Introduction to Telecommunications
- BUS4 112 Introduction to Database Management Systems
- BUS4 119A Practicum in Management Information Systems
- BUS4 119B Business Systems & Information Systems
Choose two of the following courses (6 units):
- BUS4 113 Advanced Business Programming
- BUS4 114 Advanced Systems Analysis and Design
- BUS4 115 Business Strategy and Telecommunications
- BUS4 116 Advanced Database Management Systems
- BUS4 118A Topics in MIS: Network Design
- BUS4 118B Topics in MIS: Business Expert Systems
- BUS4 118C Topics in MIS: Security Systems & Operating Systems
- BUS4 118S Topics in MIS (Determined by Department)
- BUS4 118W Topics in MIS: Web Based Computing
Grade of "C" or better are required in ALL MIS courses.
- BUS 91L is a prerequisite to Business 92.
- BUS 92 with a "C" or better and junior-level status is prerequisite to Business 110A, corequisite to BUS 110B.
- BUS 110A and 110B with a "C" or better are prerequisites to BUS 111 and 112.
- BUS 111 and 112 with a "C" or better are prerequisites to Business 119A and all MIS electives.
- BUS 119A with a "C" or better and one MIS elective are prerequisites to Business 119B.
- Any approved 100W course is a prerequisite to all MIS electives as of Fall 2000.
- BUS 119A and all MIS electives requires senior status (90 semester units).
- BUS 119B requires graduating senior status.
Freshman admitted in Fall 2010 or later must complete MATH 71 with a grade of "C' or better. Transfer students and Freshman admitted prior to Fall 2010 complete MATH 70, Finite Math with a grade of "C" or better
- MATH 71 Business Calculus
- English 1B Composition
(or, if continuous enrollment began Fall 2015 or later, English 2)
- BUS1 20 Financial Accounting
- BUS2 90 Business Statistics
As of Fall 2009, ALL concentrations will require grade minimums of "C" or better in BUS 20, BUS 90, Math 70, and ENGL 1B. Grades of "C-' earned prior to Fall 2009 will satisfy major requirements.
- ECON 1A** Macroeconomics
- ECON 1B** Microeconomics
- PHIL 186 Prof. Business Ethics (Area S)
- Non-Business Global Perspectives (Area V)
(See approved list in BSAC)
Lower Division Business Core
- BUS3 10 Discovering Business ( Highly recommended for Freshman)
- BUS1 21 Managerial Accounting
- BUS3 80 Legal Environment of Business
- BUS4 91L Business Computer Productivity Tools(1 unit)
NOTE: Business 91L with a "C" or better is a prerequisite to all MIS courses.
Upper Division Business Core
- COMM 100W, ENGL 100WB, or LLD 100WB ("C" or better) (Requires passing the WST)
- BUS2 130 Fundamentals of Marketing
- BUS3 140 Fundamentals of Operations Management
- BUS3 160 Fundamentals of Management and Organization Behavior
- BUS1 170 Fundamentals of Finance
- BUS3 187 Global Dimensions of Business
- BUS3 189 Strategic Management(Requires graduating senior status)
- BUS2 190 Quantitative Business Analysis
General Education (48-51 Units)
|B4||Math Concepts (Math 71)||3|
|B||Science (including lab)||9|
|C||Humanities and Arts||9|
|E||Human Understanding and Development||3|
|F2&3||US Constitution & CA Government**|
SJSU Studies (Requires passing the WST)
|S||Self & Society (Phil 186)||3|
|R||Earth and Environment||3|
|V||Culture & Civilization (See Non Business Global above)||3|
|Z||Written Communication II (100W) (Requires a "C" or better)||3|
* Econ 1B fulfills area D1 for Business majors.
** Areas F1,F2 & F3 may also fulfill Areas D2 & D3 (See BSAC advisor for details)
Interdisciplinary Electives or Minor (See a BSAC advisor for details)
Total Unit Requirement - 120 Units