Peer Leaders are exceptional undergraduate students who demonstrate both interpersonal and intellectual skills. The Lucas College and Graduate School of Business (LCoB) hires and develops talented and motivated students to become Peer Leaders (PL). Peer Leaders are an integral part of Jack Holland Student Success Center (JHSSC) as they serve as positive role models for the academic and social development of new and prospective students. Peer Leaders aim to develop good rapport with new students by sharing their own successes and setbacks in developing effective study habits, time management, and helping others navigate campus resources.
If you are interested in becoming a Peer Leader, please APPLY HERE by 12:00 p.m. on April 12th. Review our Application Timeline below:
Peer Leader Responsibilities
- Collaborate with staff, faculty and other Peer Leaders in creating a welcoming and inclusive campus community.
- Provide resources and opportunities for students to pursue and reflect on experiences that prepare students for their post SJSU lives
- Provide individualized peer advice and group workshops regarding time management, learning strategies, study and exam preparation strategies, etc.
- Serve as a positive role model and mentor to students
- Encourage students to explore and become involved in a variety of curricular and co-curricular activities on campus and in the community
- Participate in Peer Leader trainings and workshops
- Be available to assist with the welcoming of students and their families during Freshman Orientations and End of Year Frosh Event, including additional tasks as assigned by supervisor
- Serve as an effective participant in small group settings during Frosh Orientations, Convocation, including additional tasks as assigned by supervisor
Peer Leader Expectations
- Excellent interpersonal skills: interactive, communicative, supportive, positive, responsive, respectful of others.
- Ability to adapt.
- Understanding of diverse student learning styles.
- Sensitivity (race, gender, age, etc.).
- Time for reflection.
- Time with students, for meetings, prep time.
- Honest feedback of sessions.
- Know the boundaries of working with students.
- Dealing with difficult participants.
- Personal safety.
- Knowledgeable of campus resources and refer students accordingly.
- Serve as a liaison for class members who have questions that they are not comfortable asking a faculty member.
- Aid in understanding of Lucas College and Graduate School of Business programs and place value on developing academic and leadership skills.
- Discuss real life experiences.
- Function as a positive role model.
- Accept challenges to personal growth and use feedback to improve performance.
- Follow the policies and regulations regarding student behaviors as stated in the SJSU Student Handbook.
- Maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher.