Frequently Asked Questions about the M.A. Linguistics Program

SJSU Logo Pattern

How long does it take to complete the program?

It depends on whether you need to take the prerequisites and on how many classes you take each semester. If you go full time (minimum 9 units) you can complete the program in 4 semesters (3 semesters with 9 units each; 1 semester with 12 units) Most of the visa-students finish the program in two years since they have to take a minimum of three classes each semester. (Visa students cannot do the program part-time).

If I study part time, how long will it take to complete the program?

If you take two classes a semester, then it will take three to four years to complete all the requirements for the degree.

I work full time. How long will it take for me to complete the program?

It all depends on how many classes you intend to take in a semester. Depending on that, it will take two to four years to complete the all the requirements for the degree.

Do you offer classes during evenings?

Yes, we offer some.

What are the documents I need to submit for initiating the admission process?

If you are a visa-student, you need to submit a recent TOEFL score, official copies of all undergraduate/graduate transcripts, two letters of recommendation and evidence of financial support. Others do not need a TOEFL score but must provide the other documents.

I don't have any training in Linguistics. Am I eligible to apply for admission to your program?

Yes, you are eligible to apply for admission to the program as long as you have a B average in the last 60 (sixty) units of your last degree. If you are admitted to the program, you will be given conditionally classified status until you complete the pre-requisites.

I don't have a 3.0 GPA. How can I become eligible for admission to your program?

Consider taking classes (including Ling 101) through Open University and when your GPA reaches 3.0 in the last 60 units, then you become eligible for admission to the program

What is meant by conditionally classified status?

It simply means that you are required to do the pre-requisites to the program before you are moved into classified status.

I want to transfer some of my graduate classes from another university. What is the process?

You need to contact your advisor for this. You can transfer only two classes (6 units) from another university and you need to convince your advisor that these classes are comparable to the courses in the program. It is also important that the classes that you took in the other university were not counted towards a degree that you earned in that institution. There is a specific form that you can download from the university website for forms; fill-in that form, get your advisor's signature and then meet with the Coordinator for his/her signature.

I am a foreign student but I will be getting my bachelor degree from a U.S. university. Do I still have to take TOEFL?

If your undergraduate degree is from a U.S. university, then you are not required to take TOEFL as per the rules of the university.

What is the TOEFL cutoff score for admission to MA Linguistics? I have a score of 220. Can you please waive the TOEFL requirement for me?

The TOEFL cutoff score for the paper and pencil test is 577 (235 for the computer based test). The TOEFL requirement cannot be waived by the department; it is a university admission requirement and is not normally waived for anybody who needs to fulfill it.

I am a foreign student from a country where English is the medium of instruction at university level. Do I still have to take TOEFL?

The answer varies from country to country. Please contact the Office of Graduate Studies and Research for an answer to this question.

Do I have to take the GRE for admission to your MA Linguistics degree program?

No. For admission to our graduate programs, we do not require GRE test results.

If I have applied and been admitted but will not be able to attend the program in that year, can my admission roll over to next year?

Yes, it is possible to roll over the admission by a semester or two. You need to write a letter explaining the reasons to the Office of Graduate Studies and Research (Attn: Admissions) with a copy to the Department. If the reasons are acceptable to Graduate Studies and Research, then they will roll over the admission to the next semester or to the next year.

How many students are there in your program or how big is your program?

The total number of students varies from semester to semester. We have currently between 30-35 students.

Do you have a job placement program for your graduating students?

Unfortunately, no. We do, however, receive job announcements from various sources which we pass on to students via the LLD Student Association distribution list.

Once I have been admitted as a foreign student, how long will it take for me to get my student visa? Who should I contact for this?

It takes about 6 weeks from the time you get your admission letter for the International Student Office to send you the necessary form for applying for a student visa in your country. If you don't receive the necessary paper in seven weeks from the time you receive the admission letter from both the Graduate Studies and the Department, contact the International Student Office either by fax or e-mail.

During the first few days after my arrival from my home country, where I can stay before I can find a place myself?

Please contact the International Student Housing Office on Eleventh Street. They have temporary accommodations, but it is given on a first-come-first-served basis, so you need to contact them as soon as you have received your admission letter.